The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ), the leading social justice organization in the South, is seeking an experienced, creative, and strategic Communications Associate to source, develop, and distribute content across SCSJ’s communication channels and to external outlets. S/he will play a key role in keeping audiences, stakeholders, and the media abreast of SCSJ’s work while amplifying the brand on a local, regional, and national scale. The Communications Associate will create and edit compelling copy about SCSJ, its clients, and the communities SCSJ serves. S/he will assist the leadership, Voting Rights, and Justice Systems Reform teams in delivering this content to the press, subscribers, and donors. S/he will help to articulate SCSJ’s vision, mission, and work in a way that resonates with a variety of audiences, as well as research, cultivate relationships with, and pitch content to media contacts. S/he will also help facilitate website and social media updates, liaise with external contractors, and manage SCSJ’s messaging and branding materials.
Reporting to SCSJ’s Communications Director, the Communications Associate will join a passionate team of committed individuals who believe in investing in bold ideas to help grassroots organizations deepen their impact and advocate for social justice and human rights. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of SCSJ’s mission and vision as the organization continues to grow.
Key Accountabilities and Deliverables:
· Draft, edit, and publish press releases on a deadline-driven basis
· Create, edit, and post content on SCSJ’s social media platforms on a daily basis, and maintain SCSJ’s social media calendar
· Assist with monitoring media alerts and key publications for news related to SCSJ, and share content with relevant parties internally
· Vet and respond to inquiries from the press and other third-party media, as appropriate
· Draft compelling media pitches and statements; assist in developing op-eds, media and interview preparation, thought pieces, and news statements
· Create, refine, and execute communications plans and ongoing programs to promote client matter outcomes and milestones, and other newsworthy activity
· Stay abreast of trends and related developments that may inform our thought leadership efforts and recommend tactics based on findings
· Work with staff to identify timely and relevant topics for thought leadership campaigns
· Research, track, and help cultivate relationships with journalists and media outlets; expand public relations campaigns and media connections to new sectors
· Post press releases and news items on SCSJ’s website; help to create and update other web content, as needed
· Research conferences, events, sponsorship and speaking opportunities, and work with colleagues to propose and coordinate participation
· Maintain and organize systems that track information including project timelines, deadlines, measure results, program participation, etc.
· Facilitate the development and design of marketing materials in house using graphic design software, or in collaboration with graphic designers
· Maintain brand and messaging consistency by reviewing and editing donor-oriented content – digital fundraising communications, donor correspondence, concept notes, and donor reports – as requested
· Collaborate with the leadership team to develop and implement SCSJ’s overall communications strategy, including support to digital fundraising campaigns
· Participate in other communications, writing, and marketing projects, as needed
· 5-7 years of professional experience in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field
· Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or a related field
· Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail
· Ability to leverage and/or tailor content and messaging for specific audiences, especially journalists and news media
· Ability to work in an environment with shifting priorities to meet time-sensitive deadlines, as well as manage multiple projects simultaneously, including confidential matters
· Excellent communication skills (writing, editing, formatting, and proofreading skills)
· Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and public relations skills, especially as it relates to email and phone correspondence
· Experience creating professional social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, etc.), or willingness to learn
· Demonstrated ability to work confidently and collaboratively with individuals at all levels of the organization
· Familiarity with press release distribution software, e.g. Meltwater, Cision, etc., or willingness to learn
· Experience editing and maintaining website content, preferably in WordPress
· Ability to prioritize, organize and balance a heavy workload with a high level of productivity, proficiency, and precision
· Willingness to learn new technologies and processes
· Strong team player
Employment Type: Full-time exempt
Start Date: June 2020
SCSJ provides comprehensive health and retirement plans.
The Communications Advocate will work from SCSJ’s office located in Durham, North Carolina. Due to the ongoing public health crisis, SCSJ staff will be working remotely until advised that it is safe to return to work. During this period of remote time, we are working with staff on an individual basis to set up flex schedules if needed for childcare or other care commitments.
Candidates must upload a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples through the application form at LinkedIn. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
SCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, or disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please contact Margaret DeLaurentis at (919) 323-3380 or email@example.com for assistance.
Job posted: 2020-07-02