The Communications Associate is a creative individual with excellent communication and organizational skills and a passion for social media. The Communications Associate is responsible for assisting with the development and implementation of creative communications campaigns to increase awareness of the life-saving work that Mary’s Place does. Researching, writing, and editing organizational materials is an important part of this job.
The Communications Associate will actively engage in Mary’s Place racial equity work – striving for racially equitable outcomes and taking responsibility for creating, maintaining and affirming communities for people of color, immigrants and refugees, trans and gender-non-conforming people, and other populations who routinely encounter systemic oppressions.
This is a fulltime non-exempt position. The wage range for this position is $20.00 – $22.00 an hour.
This position reports to the Chief Communications Officer. This position does not supervise other staff. The work schedule is during normal business hours, with flexibility to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
- Work with the Mary’s Place Chief Communications Officer, the Mary’s Place Communications Committee, and various Mary’s Place teams (fundraising, volunteers, housing, employment, shelters, etc.) to help implement communications strategies for key programs, services, and events
- Write, edit, and distribute digital and print communications materials, including articles for blogs and newsletters, press releases, education, internal newsletters, announcements, etc.
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content that supports organizational goals, builds meaningful connections, and encourages the community to take action
- Work with staff agency-wide to develop informational content and publish the weekly Mary’s Place e-newsletter
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate data/metrics, insights and best practices
- Help schedule and coordinate communications calendars and timelines
- Keep website updated
- Assist with media events as needed
- Attend Mary’s Place events and activities, take photos, and share via social media
- Maintain Mary’s Place photo management system
- Support staff requests for development of presentation materials for meetings and public events as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Business Marketing, New Media, or other related major preferred
- Minimum of one-year work experience in a communications or marketing role with a focus on social media marketing
- Demonstrable social networking expertise and knowledge of social analytics tools
- Experience in social services or other nonprofit work a plus
- Strong speaking, writing, and editing skills required. Knowledge of AP Style a plus
- Photography and/or videography skills a plus
- Graphic design skills and knowledge of graphic design tools a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- A passion for and experience creating content, building audiences, and marketing on social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and You Tube
- Self-starter with exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Proven ability to multitask, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule as needed, including occasional evenings and weekends, some holidays for special events and programs
- Highly motivated and resourceful; possessing a positive attitude and sense of humor, even under pressure
- Fluency in English
- Attention to detail
- Clear understanding and alignment with Mary’s Place’s belief that no child should sleep outside
- Attention to detail, interacting with others in-person and through email, using critical thinking skills to strategize, develop and implement business plans, create and edit documents, listen and participate verbally at meetings.
- Ability to converse with and listen to people in many different settings
- Ability to use a computer and telephone, as well as other standard office equipment
- Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel and twist on an intermittent or continuous basis
- Ability to occasionally push, pull, lift and/or carry supplies up to 25 pounds
- Work takes place in a social services environment where long periods of sitting, working on a computer, walking to various work areas, going up and down stairs, and standing are required
- Travel to program sites and meetings outside sites and around the county is necessary
- Ability to work in an environment where there may be animals present, including dogs
In compliance with the ADA Amendment Act, should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources department.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. Mary’s Place will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship to Mary’s Place would result.
In addition, Mary’s Place offers the following benefits to full-time staff:
- Medical and dental insurance with the cost for core employee coverage paid at 100% by the company and competitive family rates
- Unlimited use ORCA pass for a small deduction per pay period
- 10 days paid time off (PTO) each calendar year (accrued by pay period)
- 10 days of sick time each calendar year (accrued by pay period)
- 9 paid holidays (8 designated company holidays and 1 day of choice)
- Employee Assistance Program
Mary’s Place is an equal opportunity employer.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-15