The Economic Innovation Group (EIG) is an ideas laboratory and bipartisan advocacy
organization dedicated to forging a more dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovative U.S.
economy for the 21st century. With its headquarters in Washington, D.C., EIG convenes
leading experts from the public and private sectors, develops original policy research,
and works to advance creative legislative proposals that will bring new jobs, investment,
and economic growth to communities across the nation.
About the Role
The Communications Associate will work with the Director of Communications and the
broader EIG Executive Team and staff to execute and expand EIG’s communications
and outreach strategy. The Communications Associate will have a unique opportunity to
contribute to policy and advocacy efforts impacting more equitably shared U.S.
economic growth and new business and job creation.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
● Research and Writing: Research, write, and edit a diverse portfolio of print
and digital content including press releases, pitches, blog content, social media
content and graphics, talking points, presentations, memos, and newsletters.
● Social Media Management: Develop and implement a social media strategy
that interacts with key constituencies and generates broad interest among varied
audiences. Develop a social calendar across all channels to plan, coordinate, and
communicate EIG research and policy announcements; monitor social media
accounts and proactively identify opportunities to engage audiences and increase
network; design paid campaigns to maximize organization’s footprint across
channels; monitor the news cycle and be proactive about executing rapid
response communication as required; and manage social media analytics to
measure and improve the effectiveness of social media content and campaigns.
● Website Management: Assist with regular development and maintenance of
digital content for the EIG website. Monitor and provide regular digital analytics
reports and recommendations for improvement.
● Media Relations: Actively monitor media environment and make
recommendations to best place news stories by identifying key reporters to build
relationships with, manage media lists, and track coverage; staff media
interviews and prepare briefing materials; and mine for storytelling opportunities
● Communications Strategy: Work collaboratively with the internal team to
determine creative new ways to reach the organization’s constituencies, increase
brand equity, and analyze ongoing efforts to identify areas for improvement.
● Minimum 3-5 years of communications, public relations, or journalism
● Excellent research, writing, and social media skills.
● Highly detail-oriented and organized.
● Adept at project management, handling competing priorities, and working
● Proven experience drafting communications materials, including press releases,
op-eds, social media, etc.
● Basic graphic design experience and WordPress website management skills
● Experience with email marketing software (Mailchimp) and content management
● Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to work in a start-up environment.
● Economic policy and political communications experience preferred.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. EIG provides generous health care
and retirement benefits and a generous paid time off and holiday schedule. Applicants
should email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line
“Communications Associate”. The candidate will start ASAP.
Please note: This position is based in Washington, DC. In response to COVID-19, EIG
staff are temporarily teleworking. Once the office reopens, the person hired for this
position will work in the EIG office in Washington, DC.
Job posted: 2020-07-27