The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is seeking a Communications Associate to support the work of the U.S. communications team, including in the areas of social media, media relations, advertising and other communications materials and activities. This position also manages communications activities and drafts communications materials related to the Take Down Tobacco National Day of Action and assists in monitoring and responding to tobacco industry activities. This is an excellent opportunity for an enterprising junior communications professional to develop skills and gain a wide range of experience. This position reports to the Vice President, Communications.
- Manage daily postings on social media channels and develop content and strategies for social media
- Draft media relations materials, including press releases, statements, op-eds, letters to the editor, editorial board memos and talking points.
- Field and make media calls.
- Compile and maintain media lists.
- Help coordinate development of advertising and direct mail; maintain advertising and direct mail archives.
- Manage communications activities related to the Take Down Tobacco National Day of Action, including managing work of public relations and broadcast services firms, developing and placing advertising, drafting and distributing press releases, and coordinating TV/radio media tour.
- Help organize press conferences, briefings and other events.
- Assist in monitoring and responding to tobacco industry advertising and other activities.
- Supervise Communications Department interns, including hiring of interns and assignment of projects.
- Compile news clips.
- Maintain photo, audio and video libraries.
- Respond to requests for communications materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum one year of relevant communications experience, including internships.
- Excellent writing, editing and project management skills.
- Excellent communications, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines and work collaboratively in fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with relevant computer software applications, including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Graphic design or video production skills a plus.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, resume, two writing samples and salary history to email@example.com. Please reference the position code: CA/05 in the subject line of your e-mail. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is the leading advocacy organization working to reduce tobacco use and its deadly consequences in the United States and around the world. Through strategic communications and policy advocacy campaigns, we promote the adoption of proven solutions that are most effective at reducing tobacco use and save the most lives. Our vision is a future free of the death and disease caused by tobacco – because tobacco has killed enough.
Job posted: 2020-09-18