Global Health Corps
New York, NY
Global Health Corps
Since 2009, Global Health Corps’ (GHC) has built a global community of 1,000+ young leaders who are working to transform health systems around the world. The entry point to our high-impact community is a paid 13-month fellowship with placements in nonprofit and government health organizations in East and Southern Africa. In addition to filling capacity gaps on a range of health issues, fellows participate in bespoke leadership training and community building activities.
Our tight-knit network of alumni work at 240+ organizations across more than 45 countries, with 95 percent retained in the health and social impact field. A growing number are now in management positions where they are charged with making key decisions that directly impact health outcomes. We support their leadership development beyond our fellowship program through ongoing coaching, mentorship, and training on topics such as advocacy and management. As GHC leaders continue to gain influence and mobilize others outside the GHC community, their impact generates a ripple effect across the global health ecosystem.
GHC is looking for a Communications Associate to join our global team. You are an excellent writer and editor, a digitally savvy creative thinker, and an energetic team player. You are entrepreneurial—hungry for a range of opportunities to cut your teeth as a communications professional, learning from colleagues and collaborating across a global, mission-driven, and fast-paced team. You are highly detail oriented and able to execute on several projects at once, with the ability to communicate clearly and ask questions needed to keep the trains moving. You are a self-starter, staying current with emergent trends and platforms and taking the initiative to pitch and help execute new ideas for building GHC’s credibility and visibility. You are also a great listener and quick learner, with the humility to understand and support the needs of our team.
If you’re passionate about our vision for new global health leadership and want leverage your communications skills to drive the movement for health equity, let’s talk! We thrive in challenging situations, where our task is to do what hasn’t been done and where we must dismantle or rebuild systems that propagate inefficiency and inequity. We have the vision to think big and the resilience and can-do attitude to get there. You should too. The Communications Associate sits on GHC’s Communications Team, reporting to the Director of Communications while collaborating closely with colleagues across teams in all GHC countries of operation. This is an entry-level role with potential for growth.
Job responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Social Media / Media & public engagement
- Draft, curate, schedule content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Conceptualize and execute key digital outreach events with partners such as Twitter Chats, Facebook Live broadcasts, and Instagram takeovers
- Track and monitor GHC’s following on all social media accounts
- Conduct research and update social media strategy periodically
- Help maintain GHC’s media lists, conduct media scans, and prep visuals and talking points for media opportunities
- Help maintain and execute an up-to-date public engagement strategy
- Track community-wide engagement and curate internal and external updates
Content & Collateral Creation:
- Edit, format, and track submissions to GHC’s Medium publication AMPLIFY
- Help maintain and execute an up-to-date editorial strategy
- Support external collateral creation, including annual report and donor-facing materials
- Conduct regular materials audits and update/organize materials as needed
- Help spearhead the collection and organization of stories demonstrating GHC’s impact
Multi-Media and Email Marketing:
- Support the creation of external content for newsletters, event invites, announcements etc. via MailChimp
- Manage GHC’s external contact list, including segmenting and updating regularly
- Help draft communications to GHC’s community introducing select programming opportunities, event recaps, key announcements, etc.
- Manage GHC’s suite of branded templates
- Manage GHC’s Flickr page and serve as point on photography and video
- Support the maintenance and updating of ghcorps.org, GHC’s website
- Provide additional input and support as needed across GHC’s print, digital, and experiential learning platforms
Communications & Advocacy Program Support:
- Support Country Teams, Community Impact Team, and Director of Communications in liaising with partners and preparing materials for communications and advocacy-focused aspects of GHC’s leadership development programming
- Provide ad hoc mentorship/support for fellows and alumni
- 1 – 2 years experience in communications, public relations, journalism, advocacy, or similar
- Excellent writing and editing skills; skilled in crafting narratives and stories
- Experience creating external collateral to communicate social impact to a wide range of audiences, ideally within a global setting
- Demonstrated understanding of social media, including current trends
- Keen attention to detail and design eye, including experience using a platform like Canva
- Strong organizational skills, able to manage multiple projects on deadline
- Proficiency in WordPress, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Tools, and Dropbox
- Demonstrated interest in global development and/or social justice
- Flexibility and willingness to operate as a team player
- Creative, ambitious, innovative, and boundary-pushing mindset
Our Philosophy and Benefits
Global Health Corps is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or other characteristics or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
We embrace and value diverse skillsets and backgrounds. We are a community of leaders who are proud to represent many different national, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, religious, gender, and other identities. We represent varied professional backgrounds, collaborating across fields and sectors to form a powerful, close-knit network of changemakers. Our diversity as a community is our strength, driving our ability to be empathetic, visionary, and effective leaders in the health equity movement, and engage with the world with dignity and respect.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
*This job description reflects Global Health Corps’ assignments of essential functions and qualifications for this role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign, or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-11