The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with offices in Africa, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit, non-motorized travel, travel demand management, parking, transport policy and urban development. More information about ITDP can be found at www.itdp.org.
ITDP is seeking a fulltime Communications Associate to join its global communications team based in our New York City office. Our offices are currently working remotely due to COVID-19, and the Associate will work remotely until our offices reopen. The Associate is primarily responsible for management of ITDP online spaces (itdp.org, mobilizesummit.org, staward.org, social media).
As a member of the global communications team, this position reports to the Communications Director, and works with the team on messaging and promotional strategies for websites and social media, which the Associate will implement on a regular basis. The Associate also provides regular support to the global program team and occasional support to the regional offices. The Associate will be expected to work creatively and communicate effectively with the Communications team, colleagues throughout ITDP and consultants.
- Regular maintenance of itdp.org, including content and functionality updates, promotions, etc.
- Coordinate with web developer and designer to improve design, UX, and UI of itdp.org.
- Maintenance of additional web properties including annual conference site and award site.
- Manage a promotional calendar, integrated with ITDP’s promotional and messaging strategy, including website, social media, and coordination with partners and field offices.
- Manage online promotional materials for targeted events and promotional opportunities.
- Use Google Analytics to track website and social media data in order to inform overall promotional strategy and evaluate scope of reach.
- Develop, expand, and manage messaging and strategy for email communications on MailChimp.
- Manage ITDP’s online accounts for Mailchimp, Formstack, Hootsuite, Vimeo, YouTube, and one-off event software as needed.
- Collaborate with field office staff on how to improve ITDP promotional materials, processes, and strategy, and implement the same.
- Serve as the main contact for consultants, including web developer and graphic designer.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1-3 years’ experience in communications, marketing, web development or related field.
- Experience with WordPress websites.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, international environment, balancing many different projects simultaneously.
- Ability to use Adobe Design Suite.
- Ability to manage time efficiently, especially to discern and prioritize urgent requests.
- Strong communicator with excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Interest in urban transport, city systems, urban planning, and international development.
- Fluency in a foreign language especially Spanish, Portuguese, Swahili, Tamil, Hindi, Bahasa, Mandarin or Cantonese.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
ITDP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.
Job posted: 2021-01-16