Who we are:
The Council of State Governments Justice Center is a national nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that combines the power of a membership association, representing state officials in all three branches of government, with policy and research expertise to develop strategies that increase public safety and strengthen communities. We help achieve those results by:
- Bringing people together from both sides of the aisle to foster collaboration.
- Driving the criminal justice field forward with original research.
- Building momentum for policy change at the state and local levels.
- Providing expert assistance to translate the latest research into policy and practice.
The CSG Justice Center is one of the most robust criminal justice organizations in the country, composed of approximately 120 employees with decades of experience in law enforcement, community corrections, court administration, housing, mental health and addiction services, state prisons, local jails, juvenile justice, education, workforce development, and victim advocacy. Staff here have served governors, state legislators and members of Congress on both sides of the political spectrum. What bonds us together is a shared commitment to our mission, to a common set of values, and to the national, bipartisan advisory board that guides our work. Learn more about careers at the CSG Justice Center.
What you’ll do:
The communications associate is critical to the operation of the Communications and External Affairs Division. Your contributions in this role will help our team effectively message and amplify new research, models of success, and stories of strife that are key to motivating policymakers to improve criminal justice systems in states and communities across the country.
Specific responsibilities of the communications associate include the following:
- Project manage a collection of communications-oriented activities and deliverables to ensure they are executed efficiently and on time.
- Compile, draft, and assist with updates to executive CSG Justice Center leadership, staff, and funders that detail the organization’s progress and activities.
- Help brainstorm new ideas for disseminating CSG Justice Center content and messaging to target audiences.
- Contribute to the development of various types of content, including CSG Justice Center announcements, stories on our website, social media messages, video production, and more.
- Monitor timelines, budgets, and deliverables to ensure that responsibilities to funders are met in assigned project areas.
- Manage assigned projects to completion, ensuring that all activities are coordinated and completed on time and within budget.
- Facilitate effective communication and collaboration between internal and external partners, including CSG Justice Center staff, our advisory board, CSG Headquarters and affiliates, partner organizations, policymakers, members of the media, and funders.
- Draft contracts for vendors, manage contractors, and identify liabilities and breaches of contract.
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders, as directed.
- Lead internal deployment meetings with other team members to review the status of each project and implement changes as necessary to ensure timely project completion.
- Ensure that all projects are maintained in a tracking system with complete accuracy.
What you’ll bring:
- A bachelor’s degree
- At least two years of work experience in project management and/or nonprofit administration. Experience in public relations, editorial, or online services is a plus.
- Efficient, organized work style and an ability to prioritize quickly and confidently
- Independent decision-making abilities
- Strong research, writing, and editing skills and an analytical mind. Equally strong verbal communication skills and the ability to demonstrate sensitivity and tact.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including maturity, an ability to work independently and in a team setting, and a sense of humor
- Ability to juggle multiple projects in an efficient and accurate manner
- Extreme attention to detail, both with written products, as well as project management
How you apply:
If you’re interested in helping us drive change across the country, you should upload the following elements with your application:
- Cover letter with salary expectations
- Writing sample
- Digital portfolio (if applicable)
The CSG Justice Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We participate in E-Verify.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
Job posted: 2020-12-29