Public Rights Project (PRP) is a public interest legal nonprofit, headquartered in Oakland, with a remote team based throughout the United States.. Our mission is to close the gap between the promise of our laws and the lived reality of our most vulnerable communities. Since 2017, we have been working at the intersection of community organizing and state and local government enforcement to build a scalable, equitable community-based enforcement model to protect civil rights and advance economic justice. We support progressive state and local governments, including Attorneys General, District Attorneys, and City Attorneys’ Offices with legal strategy, research, fellowships, and community partnerships to help offices develop high-impact legal cases.
The Communications Associate will work closely with the PRP’s Senior Communications Manager, and the entire PRP team. Public Rights Project is woman-led and our team is majority people of color at every level of our organization, including our board. We excel across a multitude of fields, whether that’s managing diverse fellowship programs or writing powerful amicus briefs in important civil rights cases. The Communications Associate will also work closely with a cohort of strategic marketing and communications consultants with whom PRP contracts to push PRP’s communications and marketing efforts forward. The person in this position will help lead on many aspects of PRP’s marketing and communications efforts, including shaping strategic approaches to amplifying PRP’s mission and the work of our partner government offices and community-based organizations across earned and owned media.
This is a full-time, exempt position. It can be based out of our Oakland office, but we are also open to remote candidates. We currently have remote staff in Los Angeles, Boston, and New York City.
Salary commensurate with experience; $55-65k with generous benefits.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help lead PRP’s marketing and communications strategy to promote the work and stories of PRP and our partners (both government offices and community-based organizations) on earned and owned channels including the PRP website, social media entities, email, blog, with the press, and more.
- Co-create strategic marketing and communications plans, with measurable goals and targets, including tracking outcomes on digital strategies and leveraging data to inform future content creation and bring new, innovative ideas to the table to push PRP’s brand boundaries—especially on social media.
- Support PRP’s senior team, including PRP’s President, in their public communications, including through drafting content like press releases, blogs, op-eds, and social media content.
- Ensure regular substantive content updates to PRP’s website.
- Project manage the design and publication process for PRP published materials, working in partnership with the Senior Communications Manager and the PRP team.
- Manage social media content creation and distribution.
- Draft and distribute monthly newsletter for supporters of the organization and develop new email marketing programs.
- Facilitate good relationships with reporters and other stakeholders to promote public dialogue about equitable enforcement and the role of government in creating and protecting healthy communities.
- Co-lead on PRP’s media strategy by pitching members of PRP’s senior team and partners to the press to secure op-ed, stories, and speaking engagements.
- Contribute to analyses to help assess the impact of PRP’s marketing and communications and the organization’s leadership in promoting public dialogue about equitable enforcement.
- Manage the organization’s archive of digital assets.
- Other special projects and duties as assigned to support marketing and communications efforts and ensure PRP achieves its mission.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 3-5 years of communications experience.
- Experience creating, implementing, and measuring communications outreach including media relations, social media, web, email, and print.
- Experience in government, political campaigns, or policy advocacy a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Organized, deadline driven, and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong on combining strategy with flawless execution.
- Ability to manage a diversity of stakeholders, including elected officials and government partners.
- Ability to translate complex legal concepts into compelling, broadly accessible messages.
- Proficiency with marketing analytics tools (Google Analytics, Facebook Analytics), Salesforce, and with one or more marketing automation platforms (MailChimp, Marketo), and social media tools (Hootsuite) and platforms/networks (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc).
- Deep-seated passion for equity and improvement efforts in local/state government.
- Collaborative spirit, thriving in small-team/startup-like environment as both an individual contributor and PRP team member.
Reports to the Senior Communications Manager
Requires sitting, talking and listening for up to 8 hours per day. Certain situations may require lifting items up to 20 pounds. Position requires the ability to travel by car or plane for local and national travel up to 10 days per year.
Full time, with an option to work at 80% with pro-rated compensation. Based in Oakland with ability to work virtually.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
- We are committed to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity. A diverse and inclusive workplace, both at PRP and within the government offices we serve, is a key ingredient for achieving our mission of building equitable enforcement capacity within state and local government.
- We aim to assemble a team that reflects the world we live in and the communities we serve, including with respect to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and immigration status. People with personal or family experience with the type of harms we seek to combat, including wage theft, predatory lending, fraud, discrimination, and environmental degredation are particularly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Job posted: 2021-01-12