About Feed the Truth
Feed the Truth is a new nonprofit organization that stands with a burgeoning global movement with an ambitious goal: to create a healthier, more just society by challenging the global food and beverage industry’s exploitation of our health, environment, and democracy. It was seeded by Daniel Lubetzky—a philanthropist and entrepreneur best known for creating the snack company KIND—with the goal that Feed the Truth would “hold all of us in the food community accountable for what we say and claim” and counteract the food industry’s undue influence in shaping policy and science. As we prepare to launch Feed the Truth’s work, we are building a talented team that can help the organization become a driving force for change.
Feed the Truth seeks a Communications Associate to support the build out of Feed the Truth’s communications, media, fundraising and campaigning capabilities. Working closely with the Director of Communications and a growing communications and research team, you will work across a host of disciplines and platforms, editing content, updating the Feed the Truth website, project managing publications, and engaging in social media outreach. The ideal candidate has a passion for social justice and an interest in building a healthy, more equitable food system. He/she/they will have strong project management and writing skills, excellent attention to detail, and an interest in strengthening their communications training and expertise.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing project management support for a variety of communication team-driven efforts in areas of digital engagement, media, and publications.
- Assisting the Digital Engagement Manager with website development, content management, and supporter outreach.
- Supporting the development and execution of high-impact advocacy campaigns.
- Supporting the launch and build-out of a new web presence that will become a go-to resource for advocates, researchers, media and other audiences.
- Partnering closely with the Director of Communications to build and manage a range of initiatives and serve as a utility player to work across the team on content production, social media and copywriting.
Required skills, experience and attributes:
- You have strong project management skills, including experience in managing and support initiatives within and across teams and a proven ability to coordinate a range of projects.
- You have strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills with experience in developing and proofing copy.
- You have a commitment to working for a just and better world.
- You have basic graphic design skills (especially for designing social media content and presentations).
- You have experience building a social media or email following and/or managing social media platforms, email lists, and/or analytics for a non-profit or influencer.
- You have experience using CRMs such as Action Network or EveryAction, and CMSs such as WordPress.
- You have a background and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including communities of color, low-income communities, and the LGBTQ community.
Preferred qualifications and attributes:
- Prior experience in a nonprofit or social change organization is highly preferred.
- A creative and analytical thinker
- Advanced design skills and experience with Adobe Suite a plus.
- Excitement to engage on and become immersed in issues at the intersection of food and corporate power, equity, health, climate, and democracy.
- You have past experience coordinating joint digital actions with coalition partners (e.g., involvement in setting-up a microsite, social media toolkits, petition outreach, etc.) is a plus
- Proficiency in a second language (Spanish in particular) a plus.
- Ability to work effectively under deadline.
- Awareness of gender and racial dynamics in collaboration.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or relevant field.
Details: We have a strong preference for candidates based in Washington, D.C. or Portland, OR. We will consider candidates in other U.S. locations if they can easily travel to D.C. and Portland once it’s safe to resume travel.
Salary and benefits: The salary range for this position is $45,000 to $55,000 per year and the salary offered will be dependent on market factors and theThe salary candidate’s professional experience and capabilities.
Feed the Truth is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and short-term and long-term disability insurance. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Director of Communications.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in a second language (Spanish in particular) is a plus.
How to Apply
Job posted: 2021-03-25