Informing Change is looking for a Communications Associate to join our team. Informing Change’s strength comes from our team-based approach. You would be joining an organization of individuals who draw on one another’s diverse skill sets, perspectives, and expertise to turn data into insights and action for our clients. Learning is intrinsic to everything we do, whether alongside our clients, with one another, or in individualized professional development. We challenge one another to go deeper, think further, and do even better work for our clients—all pursuits that we support through a company culture that enables your work to affect meaningful, positive change in our communities.
Who We Are
Informing Change is a strategic learning firm united by the core belief that making meaning out of good data generates knowledge that can be used to accelerate progress toward equity. We combine the power of data with deliberate and inclusive meaning-making processes. We are guided by our values of intelligence, integrity, compassion, and the pursuit of social justice.
We partner with our clients—nonprofits and the philanthropic organizations that fund them—to develop their strategy and understand their impact. Whether we are conducting an evaluation, building organizational capacity, or researching a field, we work to share knowledge with organizations so that they can make informed decisions about the ways they support and lift up their communities.
At Informing Change, we are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse staff with a variety of lived experiences. We believe that diversity greatly elevates our ability to bring integrity, quality, creativity, and empathy to our work. We recognize the ways multiple identities intersect in contextually unique experiences of oppression and privilege, and we value how these intersections inform individuals’ expertise. We are looking for team members who are committed to joining us on our journey toward embracing and embodying racial and intersectional equity.
Who You Are
You have at least four years of experience writing extensively for external audiences. You serve as the company’s storyteller across client projects, business development proposals, and marketing platforms.
Here are the roles you will play:
As a communicator, you:
- Write with intention, clarity, and persuasion, and you conceptualize visuals to tell the story behind data.
- Weave data and findings into clear and compelling narratives. Know how to write for audiences who have different vocabularies, style preferences, and levels of experience with data.
- Collaborate with our analysts to translate their findings into clear, evidence-supported findings that our clients can easily digest.
- Bring fresh ideas for communicating our findings to the wide range of stakeholders who use our strategies and evaluations to inform their work.
- Write clear and compelling proposals for new projects.
- Help to develop budgets and new scopes of work as components of business development proposals.
- Help staff prepare for interviews by compiling background materials and preparing talking points.
- Provide constructive feedback and professional development on staff writing.
- Ensure company products adhere to our brand and quality standards.
As a marketer, you:
- Bring Informing Change’s voice to all of our media platforms, e.g., website, blog, newsletter, and social media content.
- Help design–and compellingly execute–the company’s marketing strategy to enhance our external visibility.
As a team member, you:
- Help to maintain the contact management system (Salesforce) for the business communications function.
- Support scheduling of business development and communications related appointments and interviews.
- Are comfortable executing others’ vision, knowing how to take both direction and initiative.
- Contribute your insights to enhance our work.
- Welcome constructive criticism.
- Collaborate with various team members and enjoy bringing out the best in them.
- Bring your ideas and energy to our growing company as we evolve to meet the future needs of our field.
Candidate Qualifications & Experience
- At least four years of professional writing experience that includes writing about data.
- Bachelor’s degree or five years of professional experience in a similar role.
- Skilled in WordPress (or similar platforms), Illustrator, and the Microsoft Office Suite.
- An eye for creating visually appealing layouts, compositions, and graphics that are balanced and unified.
- Excellent written communication skills, including editing for style, powerful voice, structural coherence, and grammatical, syntactic, and punctuation accuracy.
- Physical demands include the ability to:
- Sit at a desk for long periods of time using a computer.
- Read a computer screen and operate a keyboard and mouse.
- Occasionally lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- At least two years of experience writing for philanthropy, nonprofits, or consulting firms.
- Developmental editing expertise.
- Experience writing theories of change or strategic plans.
Compensation & Logistics
- Salary commensurate with Associate-level experience at similar consulting firms in the social sector
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Voluntary 401(k) plan with company match
- We are currently working remotely until it is safe to return to the office. Once we reopen, we are adopting a hybrid office model where staff will work in our Berkeley office twice a week.
- All staff are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against Covid-19. Staff who are not vaccinated must wear a N-95 mask for their own and others’ protection when we return to the office.
- To apply, send a resume and cover letter via RecruiterBox.
- Please include a 1-2 page writing sample of which you are the sole author.
- Position open until filled.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we support affirmative action and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sexual or gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. We strongly encourage persons from all backgrounds to apply.
Job posted: 2021-11-13