Communications Associate-CSG HQ
The Council of State Governments (CSG) is the nation’s only organization serving all three branches of state government. CSG is a region-based forum that fosters the exchange of insights and ideas to help state officials shape public policy. This offers unparalleled regional, national and international opportunities to network, develop leaders, collaborate and create problem-solving partnerships. To learn more about CSG please visit our website at www.csg.org.
The Communications Associate position is responsible for creating and editing print media (including magazine articles, essays, op-eds, press releases, talking points and research briefs) and providing digital media support (social media, video and web-based content). This position also serves as an associate editor and regular contributor to CSG’s flagship publication, Capitol Ideas, and to the CSG weekly e-newsletter, The Current State.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure CSG publications & products meet grammar, style and quality standards as determined by the director.
- Serve as an associate editor and content provider for Capitol Ideasmagazine and all other CSG products.
- Produce and edit original videos.
- Provide social media support for multiple outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Conduct interviews involving members, associates, policy experts and/or staff.
- Write & distribute CSG press releases.
- Seek and facilitate strategic press opportunities and placements for CSG materials and experts.
- Provide original, journalistic-style content for Capitol Ideas magazine, weekly e-newsletters, e-blasts, Capitol Research briefs, etc.
- Providing editing support for all CSG produced materials including all publications, marketing materials, websites and media pieces.
- Assist in the development and dissemination of e-blasts and other communications to the CSG membership.
- Help coordinate the execution of multimedia projects including video and webinar based products including the CSG eCademy series.
- Develop relationships with and pitch stories to media outlets and strategic partners.
- Help reinforce CSG branding and message consistency as well as provide marketing support.
- Edit scholarly articles for CSG’s The Book of the States.
- Aid the director and assistant director of Communications and Membership on daily tasks.
- Meet all assignment deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong skills in the English language, including solid grammatical, editing and writing skills.
- Working knowledge of state government and public policy issues.
- Strong story-telling skills in both written & multimedia formats.
- Ability to conduct interviews in written & multimedia formats.
- Capacity to carry out routine tasks with minimum supervision.
- Skilled at handling simultaneous, multiple projects; work flexibly in a team environment and communicate with members of the public in a professional manner.
- Extensive knowledge of writing standards (i.e. AP, Chicago style, etc.) with emphasis on AP style writing guidelines.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required with a major in communications, public relations, journalism or related field strongly preferred.
- Two (2) years of related experience with an emphasis in communications work.
Physical Requirements Essential to Perform the Duties of The Job
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently communicates with internal and external partners.
- Frequently operates a computer to create policy briefs, memos and presentations.
- Frequently remains in a stationary position to perform desk duties.
- Frequently works in a well-lit, tempered room.
- Occasionally moves throughout office to communicate to coworkers.
- Seldom transports objects, such as files or paper boxes, with weight up to 25 pounds.
Interested individuals must complete the online application and upload the following:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (limited to 3 pages)
CSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled)
Job posted: 2019-08-25