Communications Associate – Media Relations
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP) is one of the nation’s leading nonprofits working on public policy issues affecting low-income families and individuals. It has a national reputation for conducting rigorous research and analysis, developing policy ideas and strategies, shaping a broad array of policy debates at the federal and state levels, and influencing policy outcomes. It works on budget and tax policy, health care, food assistance, housing, and a range of other programs important to low-income people. The Center’s funding comes from private foundations and individuals.
The Communications Associate-Media Relations position offers an opportunity for a talented communications professional to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment as part of the Center’s communications team to help shape critical policy debates through earned media.
The Communications Associate will contribute to the development of media strategy and tactics and support the Center’s policy goals.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Helping to create and execute plans for the release of new Center content;
- Fielding media inquiries, conducting media outreach, and building and maintaining reporter relationships;
- Assisting with message development and media training of policy experts;
- Tracking news coverage of the issues upon which the Center works; and
- Administrative oversight of key projects (scheduling and running meetings, developing agendas, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree; minimum two years of professional experience in communications or a related field;
- Professional experience working with the media, including developing relationships with regional and national press contacts;
- Experience working in a fast-paced, quick-turnaround environment;
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities, meet deadlines, and ask for help or reconsideration of priorities when needed;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Excellent research skills;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- A commitment to the Center’s mission to improve the well-being of low- and moderate-income people and advance racial equity; and
- Hunger for following breaking news, policy debates, and political developments, as well as familiarity with public policy and the legislative process.
- The ability to think strategically, to offer creative ideas, and to stay abreast of best practices in media relations is a plus.
The ideal candidate is extremely organized, detail-oriented, and a self-starter with an interest in aggressively and proactively promoting the Center’s policy work on a daily basis, thus playing a key role in ensuring broad media coverage.
This position reports to the Director of Media Relations
Terms of Employment: Full-time, exempt position.
Bargaining Unit Status: This is a bargaining unit position.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits including health insurance, dental and vision care, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement, MERP, DCAP, and generous vacation leave, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
Bringing diverse perspectives to public policy debates. To expand the diversity of voices that speak with authority in policy debates, we welcome highly motivated candidates — with particular attention to candidates who have experience with communities that are underrepresented in policy debates and who have familiarity with low-income and diverse communities and issues of racial equity.
Please include a cover letter with your application. In your cover letter, please include a discussion of what draws you to the mission of the Center.
Please submit your application here.
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of race, color, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, credit information, pregnancy or parental status, family responsibilities, personal appearance, creed, military or veteran status, religion, ancestry or national origin, union activities, disability, or other status protected by applicable law.
Job posted: 2020-05-14