Communications Associate, Social Media
Title: Communications Associate, Social Media
Interested in holding state officials and tech platforms accountable for misdeeds? Campaign for Accountability is a non-partisan, non-profit watchdog that relies on deep research to reveal evidence of misconduct by federal and state officials and, through the Tech Transparency Project, by tech platforms.
We’re looking for an energetic, driven, media-savvy, digital storyteller to join our team as the Digital Engagement Editor. Part digital journalism, part advocacy, and part rapid-response information sharing, the Digital Engagement Editor will help ensure CfA’s work, expertise, and resources are part of the online conversation.
While CfA is based in DC, you can work from anywhere.
You’ll be the digital spokesperson for CfA (and TTP) and our voice on social media, managing our Twitter account, and responsible for developing new strategies to highlight our work, and making sure our channels are a useful resource for journalists, government investigators, and the public.
On a daily basis, you will collaborate with the executive director, communications director, and research team to create compelling digital content for social media, emails, and other projects as needed. You’ll also write blog posts, and the occasional op-ed.
Specific tasks will shift day by day along with our work and the news cycle, but in a typical week, your job will probably include:
- Sharing breaking news based on information CfA has uncovered;
- Managing our current social media channels (Twitter, Facebook) and exploring new platforms that could help share our work with a broader audience;
- Creating compelling copy, as well as graphics and other visually engaging content, that highlights our work and drives response online;
- Monitoring the news and the conversation on social media to identify opportunities for our current or previous work to inform the public on key issues;
- Working with the research team to develop and execute plans to announce new investigations and important developments in our ongoing work;
- Being the in-house expert in how to use social media to inform the public, and creating and maintaining short- and long-term digital strategy plans:
- Participating in brainstorms and planning meetings with an eye toward surfacing new and creative ways to communicate CfA’s message;
- Rapidly responding to news events and congressional hearings;
We don’t have a hard and fast checklist of requirements for this position, but the following attributes will likely describe the successful candidate:
- Excellent writing skills with a focus on accuracy and detail, and the ability to rapidly synthesize complex issues into clear, engaging content;
- 2–5 years previous experience directly managing social media accounts for an organization engaged in journalism, public policy, or related work; OR significant experience as a journalist or researcher who has actively and routinely used social media channels as part of your work;
- Proficiency in the strategic use of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms, as well as social media management systems;
- Ability to handle high-pressure, quick-deadline projects on high-profile, breaking news topics;
- Fluency in federal policy, current politics, and the way they are discussed online, as well as the ability to quickly learn new topics as they arise;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment;
- Integrity and commitment to high journalistic standards of quality and accuracy;
- Solid organizational skills with the ability to complete projects and handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (including Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects or Animate) and previous experience in creating videos for distribution on social media are also very helpful.
CfA is proudly an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and retaining a diverse team. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQI+ individuals, and/or veterans are encouraged to apply.
The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $75,000, commensurate with experience. Generous and comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please send application materials, including a résumé and a one-page cover letter that contains links to social media accounts you have managed, to email@example.com with “Communications Associate” in the subject line. Please indicate in your email how you heard about this opening.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
Job posted: 2021-11-01