Communications and Campaigns Manager
At Fairtrade America you will work on behalf of one of the most cutting-edge models for change. Fairtrade America, based in Washington, DC, betters the lives of farmers and workers in developing countries by inspiring businesses to implement ethical production practices and assisting shoppers in making informed purchasing decisions. Fairtrade America is the US chapter of Fairtrade International, the original and global leader in fair trade certification, with over 30 years of experience working to make trade fair, with headquarters in more than 30 countries across the globe. An independent, non-profit 501(c)3 organization, Fairtrade America is part of the world’s largest and most recognized fair trade system—part of a global movement for change.
The Communications and Campaigns Manager is an enthusiastic and highly motivated professional who is organized, a great communicator, quick learner, and a self-starter. They are mission-driven and passionate about telling Fairtrade’s story. The role is responsible for supporting our brand partners to spread the word about their Fairtrade commitments. The role will also orchestrate our seasonal campaigns in partnership with other actors, creating exciting ways to engage shoppers and businesses in Fairtrade. Finally, the Communications and Campaigns Manager will contribute to Fairtrade America’s main external communications channels – namely our website, earned media (PR) and segmented e-newsletters.
Reports To: Director of Marketing and External Relations
Duties & Responsibilities:
Although the job title has “communications” in it, the majority of your work will be focused on developing and editing (mostly written, for now) content. A smaller percentage will be spent on general marketing and communications work.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
Create and curate content for brands — approximately 30% of your time
- You’ll create and curate tools, articles and messaging to spread the word about Fairtrade. Our research has found that most shoppers learn about Fairtrade through the brands they buy or see in the store. Therefore, you will particularly focus on content created for our brand partners to use on their channels, which in turn will grow awareness of Fairtrade. You will help brand partners in their B2B pitches to retailers as necessary.
- You will write clear, concise, grammatically correct, search engine-optimized and original content tailored to our different targeted audiences.
- You will design simple graphics and get more complicated ones done by an external designer.
- You will maintain and update our collateral, including brochures, fact sheets, and other materials
- With our Digital Communications Manager, you will create a client portal on our new website that better serves our brand partners seamlessly.
Lead campaigns — approximately 30% of your time
- Fairtrade America runs seasonal consumer campaigns. You will be in charge of orchestrating these campaigns. You will find ways to creatively engage brand partners and other organizations in these campaigns to broaden their reach.
- Current campaigns are timed around holidays that work well for Fairtrade (Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, the Holidays) as well as World Fair Trade Day in May and Fair Trade Month in October.
Contribute to Fairtrade America’s external communications — approximately 20% of your time
- You will manage or contribute to our external communications, particularly focusing on content for our website, e-newsletter and earned media.
- You will support our sales team with content and materials to pitch to new businesses as needed.
Other duties — approximately 20% of your time
- You will support team initiatives, cross-team collaborations and communication, and other activities that contribute to the growth of our organization.
- In coordination with the Director of Marketing and External Relations, you will manage your budget to help us get the most bang for our You will report quarterly on your key performance indicators (KPIs) and contribute to our annual planning.
- Data integrity is important to us. You will make sure you don’t operate in a silo and that databases and shared areas are updated with your progress.
- Fairtrade America is part of a global Fairtrade system of hundreds of people. You will connect with others in the system in areas that complement your work and deepen your knowledge.
If you were here right now, you might be working on projects like the following:
- Leading our October Fair Trade Month campaign which will seek to excite and delight through in-person art, digital activations, engaging influencers as well as local and regional media.
- Creating content for our brand-new website and working with the developers to design a useful and relevant client portal for our brand partners
- Contributing to our 2021 planning
- Helping our brands partners launch their new Fairtrade products
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years’ relevant experience
- Ability to engage and communicate with targeted audiences via different channels
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills
- Clarity in thought to cut through the noise and drill down to what’s most important
- Excellent writing, copy-editing, presentation and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task is a must
- Flexible, collaborative, creative team player willing to step into whatever is required to get the job done
- International experience
- Knowledge and commitment to Fairtrade and development issues
- Familiarity with Sharepoint, Salesforce, Canva, WordPress, Pardot, Adobe Creative Suite and Trello
Salary is commensurate with experience. Fairtrade America offers a strong benefits package.
To apply, please use our online application to send salary expectations, resume and cover letter here.
Only suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest. Fairtrade America is an equal opportunity employer.
This exempt position may require work on holidays, evenings, or weekends and compensatory time may be offered. There may be travel and other duties or responsibilities assigned.
Job posted: 2020-09-04