Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) brings a synergy between the best medical education, research and patient care. Tomorrow’s discoveries happen right here alongside the very people who bring those lessons to our students. Every bit of knowledge, and every advancement, provides our students with an unprecedented, collaborative learning environment, and helps improve the vitality and care of our communities.
In the role of Communications Consultant you will develop and implement communication plans through multiple media and channels for the functional areas of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI), Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity (OSID) and the Center the Advancement of for Women in Science and Medicine (AWSM). The individual will be responsible for the execution of innovative, inspiring, engaging communication through multiple media and varied audiences including faculty, staff, student, trainees and our clinical and community partners. The consultant will produce communications to advance inclusive excellence strategies through communication channels including intranet, emails, website, presentations, newsletters, and social media. Our ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, technically skilled, organized, values oriented, and an enthusiastic connector of people through meaningful ideas and intentional action. The Communications Consultant will report directly to the Vice President of Inclusion and Diversity, work with the Assistant Dean for student inclusion, the Director of AWSM and work in close coordination with the Director, Marketing and Communications, Internal Communications and Events to align inclusive excellence and MCW institutional communication goals, tactics, and branding.
- Supports the Medical College of Wisconsin’s overall brand, goals, and objectives, strengthening the organization’s mission impact and value to the communities MCW serves through advancing equity, diversity, or inclusion (EDI)
- Create engaging, informative, and audience-centric communication plans and tactics including faculty, staff, and student emails, intranet and external website content, event marketing content, program guides, presentations, videos, brochures and collateral, and content for social media and other digital marketing and communications channels as needed and appropriate for communication initiatives.
- Deliver clear and concise communications and resources that speak to the target audience(s), use the appropriate voice and vehicle, follow corporate branding guidelines, and inspire the desired action and behaviors.
- Participates on project teams to support projects and initiatives
- Assist or lead content development supporting internal storytelling, marketing or instructional content to further inclusion, pride, engagement, and knowledge.
- Edit, standardize, and polish communications written by EDI functional subject matter experts.
- Translate concepts into digestible and visually engaging content or supplemental communications such as job aids, graphics, charts, tables, process flow diagrams and conceptual illustrations.
- Utilize web and graphic design tools to maintain the ODI, OSID and AWSM department intranet and external sites in collaboration with content owners; ensure a consistent user experience across content owner pages.
- Lead event experience and coordination for events supporting inclusive excellence initiatives.
- Work with Office of Communications to develop social media strategy in support of inclusive excellence across our organization and in line with institutional guidelines.
- Understand and utilize search engine optimization techniques to improve website user navigation.
- Maintain a writing style that reflects an overall tone consistent with our inclusive excellence strategy and MCW brand and guidelines.
- Develop impact reports – content and design coordination
- Manage the content calendar and project list to prioritize requests and needs.
- Conduct quarterly audits of EDI information on our intranet and website to ensure accurate and up-to-date information.
- Integrate and cultivate relationships with Corporate Internal Communications teams as a strategic partner to ensure constancy in tone and message across university.
- Work and coordinate with outside consultants or vendors.
- Work closely with the Corporate Web Team to measure effectiveness of various website and intranet content and adjust accordingly.
- Identify areas of process or content improvements to enhance internal communications function.
Appropriate experience may be substituted for education on an equivalent basis
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 years of experience in communications or website content and maintenance
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 years of experience
- Journalism, english, marketing, communications, public relations, or related field of study; experience communicating with socially/culturally diverse audiences
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including editing and proofreading skills, as well as the journalistic ability to source stories that advance communication objectives.
- Experience in communication plan development, keeping deliverables on time, and familiarity with communications processes, approvals, and cascades.
- Expertise with various communication channels and platforms.
- Experience in communing with diverse audiences employing tested diversity practices and language plus.
- Ability to clearly articulate messages to a variety of socially diverse audiences.
- Proficiency in web content management, graphic design, Microsoft Office, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat DC, Photoshop and other digital literacy. Familiar with Content Management Systems.
- Can work independently and coordinate multiple tasks with strong teamwork aptitude.
- Excellent organizational skills to effectively prioritize, multitask, and complete tasks on time.
- Excellent critical thinking and creative problem- solving skills.
- Ability to take initiative to address identified communication and execution gaps in an innovative manner.
- Experience in higher education or healthcare a plus.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential material.
- Previous writing and social media samples encouraged for review.
- Outstanding Healthcare Coverage, including but not limited to Health, Vision, and Dental. Along with Flexible Spending options
- 403B Retirement Package
- Competitive Vacation and Paid Holidays offered
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Parental Leave
- On campus Fitness Facility, offering onsite classes.
- Additional discounted rates on items such as: Select cell phone plans, local fitness facilities, Milwaukee recreation and entertainment etc.
For a full list of positions see: www.mcw.edu/careers
For a brief overview of our benefits see: https://www.mcw.edu/departments/human-resources/benefits
Eastern Wisconsin is a vibrant, diverse metropolitan area. MCW is intent on attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce and faculty body that reflects the community we serve. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, thought, and perspectives to advance excellence in science and medicine. MCW is a welcoming campus community with a strong culture of collaboration, partnership, and engagement with our surrounding community.
MCW as an Equal Opportunity Employer and Commitment to Non-Discrimination
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual’s race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristic, or military status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the MCW community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-06