Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Communications Content Specialist
The American Bar Foundation (ABF) seeks a creative, enthusiastic, and driven communications professional to add to its communications staff.
About the ABF
Located in Chicago’s Streeterville neighborhood, the American Bar Foundation is a nonprofit, independent international research institute committed to empirical, interdisciplinary research on law, legal institutions, and legal processes. The ABF offers a rich intellectual community of scholars with expertise in a wide range of disciplines, and staff have ample opportunities to interact with scholars and attend research presentations, such as a weekly Wednesday seminar series. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees that includes generous paid time off, health insurance, and retirement.
About this position
The Content Specialist is responsible for assisting in the creating and disseminating thoughtful and compelling content to ABF stakeholders, including donors, the academy and news media. The Content Specialist will assume primary writing duties for all ABF products, including publications, program summaries, and online blog. This role will take charge of ABF’s content and will be responsible for elevating the ABF brand visibility to its stakeholders and to the general public. The Content Specialist reports to the Communications Manager and can expect to take direction from senior management and the Executive Director. This person works cooperatively with members of the communications, development and academic affairs staff.
- Serve as copy writer for multiple ABF communications projects and media platforms;
- Contribute to a new ABF blog, creating engaging and regular content, with an emphasis on SEO;
- Contribute to and edit Researching Law, the ABF’s long-form biannual newsletter, identifying and interviewing subject matter experts and distributing final product to broad ABF network;
- Contribute to, edit and review the ABF’s Annual Report publication;
- Assist in the creation of talking points for faculty research projects;
- Support the creation of video content;
- Assist Digital Media Specialist in creating content for social media channels;
- Assist in script writing for the ABF’s podcast Whose Law is it Anyway?;
- Generate other content as needed for other departments, including event announcements, flyers, information packets and program summaries.
- Monitor ABF’s media coverage on Meltwater;
- Analyze media coverage and produce media reports to demonstrate overall media penetration;
- Build and maintain press lists and communications files.
- Collaborate with Communications, Fellows and Development teams to support brand advertising campaigns, programs, and initiatives;
- Assist in supporting special events to highlight ABF research, book launches, and other events such as the Fellows Annual Awards Banquet;
- Other communications-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience planning content strategy (full-time, internships, volunteer work all included)
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in AP-style writing
- Strong editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to master and translate complex research projects and programs to lay audiences
- Ability to quickly comprehend a wide range of issues at the intersection of law and society
- Experience writing for multiple channels
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing priorities and to meet deadlines
- Strong contributor in team environments and able to collaborate successfully with faculty and staff
- Entrepreneurial nature; intellectually curious and creative thinker
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite: Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Must be reliable and punctual and understand standard operating office procedures
- Must reside in Illinois and maintain U.S. work authorization throughout employment
- Proficiency with mass marketing/communications software and CRMs: Constant Contact, Meltwater, Hootsuite, etc.
- Experience with WordPress
- Basic video editing experience (Filmora, Premiere Pro, etc.);
- Experience using Google Analytics
- Understanding of front-end SEO best practices and keyword strategy
- Demonstrated ability to craft cogent and effective press releases
This job operates in a professional office environment, with some remote days and some days reporting to the office. All employees reporting to the ABF office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receiving a booster shot, if eligible. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Typical work hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with a 1-hour lunch period. Occasional work outside of these hours is expected in connection with ABF events.
The ABF is firmly committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons. All decisions regarding the terms, privileges, and/or conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, classification, grading, recruitment, discharge, discipline, compensation, selection for training or apprenticeship, placement, promotion, transfer, renewal of employment, tenure or terms, and benefits, will be made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, order of protection status, marital status, disability, military status, unfavorable discharge from the military, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, housing status, parental status, source of income, certain arrest or criminal history records, genetic information, protected activity (such as opposition to or reporting of prohibited discrimination or harassment), or any other status or classification protected by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws. The ABF prohibits discrimination, retaliation, and harassment of individuals on any of the bases listed above and any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and/or local law.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples that best showcase your previous work via Interfolio: https://apply.interfolio.com/106618. Applications submitted through other websites will not be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
Job posted: 2022-05-07