We at Climate Action Campaign are a small but highly motivated and mighty team that advocates and organizes for bold
policies to stop the climate crisis. Through the lens of equity and justice, we fight for a Zero Carbon future and the
systemic change that ensures clean air, clean water, and a livable future for everyone.
We are growing our team of advocates who wake up every day ready to support the fight for the game-changing climate
laws, policies and programs we need to achieve climate justice. To fulfill this vision, we need 100% of our team to be
1. Do you believe in the power of local politics to make change?
2. Can you work creatively, but also strategically?
3. Are you passionate about educating and mobilizing the public to win the climate policies our communities need?
4. Is your first thought “no problem” when faced with a challenge?
5. Do you thrive in a fast-paced and demanding high-profile environment?
If you answered yes to these questions, please read on.
Summary: The Communications Coordinator will spend 50% of their time implementing the communications plan of the
San Diego Green New Deal Alliance and 50% of their time working with the philanthropy, policy, and communications
team at Climate Action Campaign to implement its communications strategy. We are looking for a skilled communicator
who will help amplify our educational content and creative brand across all platforms.
This position will leverage the power of storytelling to cultivate relationships with members, grantors, and decision-makers
through newsletters, e-blasts, social media, press releases, contributed articles, and website content. The
Communications Coordinator will work with Climate Action Campaign’s Communications Manager and the San Diego
Green New Deal Alliance’s team to educate, mobilize, fundraise, and recruit volunteers.
Major Goals and Responsibilities
● Implement CAC and the Alliance’s Communications Plans to elevate and execute our goals, including the
promotion of events and calls to action and growing the social media and outreach campaigns (including outreach
to those not traditionally represented in the environmental movement).
● Create materials to implement digital and traditional media plans, i.e. handouts, videos, website updates, emails,
press releases, and blogs.
● Work with the CAC policy team and the San Diego Green New Deal Alliance team to create integrated
communications campaigns for policy campaigns, including peer-to-peer texting, digital ads, action toolkits,
messaging and talking points, etc.
● Written Communications: Develop messaging, storytelling, traditional media (press releases, media alerts,
pitching, press events), email campaigns, social media, website content, newsletters, videos, and blogs that
expand the reach and effectiveness of Climate Action Campaign and the San Diego Green New Deal Alliance.
● Digital Organizing: Work with the Climate Action Campaign policy team and Alliance members to use digital
tools to educate the community around Climate Action Campaign and the Alliance’s goals.
● Design, Photography, and Videography: Design social media graphics, fliers, website pages, and infographics.
Create videos and take pictures.
● Events: Support with communications around social, fundraising, and educational events for members, donors,
and the public.
● General Support: Assist staff with formatting documents/proposals, generating reports, monitoring the
effectiveness of communications platforms, and developing materials for presentations and press events.
A good fit for this position will:
● Have work experience in communications, marketing, public relations, or journalism, ideally in a non-profit
● Have top-notch writing, editing, and verbal communication skills.
● Be passionate about climate justice.
● Have an eye for design and visual details.
● Be experienced and savvy with social media.
● Have an understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on
underserved and underrepresented communities, including understanding that the climate crisis
disproportionately burdens working-class communities of color.
● Be extremely organized, motivated, and capable of managing deadlines and fluctuating priorities for an array of
projects in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining extreme attention to detail.
● Be both an analyst and a creative thinker.
● Be an independent worker who knows how to find solutions, but also knows when to ask for help.
● Have a keen interest in learning and developing as a professional.
● Be willing to take initiative to develop new strategies and outside-the-box ideas for social media.
● Excellent storytelling, writing, editing, and content creation skills.
● Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques.
● Ability to take initiative to develop new strategies and outside-the-box ideas for social media.
● (Preferred) Experience with the following software and platforms: Canva, familiar with Adobe Suite, video editing
● (Preferred) Experience with technologies and best practices for campaigns across multiple platforms.
Climate Action Campaign Core Values
Justice, Equity, Accessibility, Opportunity for all, Inclusion, Health, Voice, Safety. We look forward to sharing more about
these values when we meet.
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position, and will include some evening/weekend work. The term of the
position is one year from the date of hire. Pending future funding, we hope to be able to make this position a
Location: Our office is in Hillcrest in San Diego, but we’re often out and about throughout the region, meeting with
government officials, businesses, and community advocates, as well as working remotely at home to save time and
commuting costs. For the foreseeable future, due to COVID-19, our team is working remotely, with occasional in-person
meetings. This position will be primarily remote until it is safe to return to our office, at which point in-person office time will
Benefits: Health, dental, vision and life insurance, 401(k) Retirement Plan, and paid time off.
Salary range: $54,000-$60,000
How to apply: Submit the below items to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject: Communications
2. Video or voice recording answering the following three questions:
a. Why are you interested in this position?
b. Describe what you like the most and least about the work culture of your current employer (or previous, if
c. Briefly describe a communications campaign or project that you led or made significant contributions to.
What were you responsible for? What’d you learn?
Limit your total recording to 3 minutes maximum.
Deadline: The position is open until we find the perfect fit.
Climate Action Campaign is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Climate Action Campaign provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and
prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin,
disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion,
termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job posted: 2021-07-07