Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Communications Coordinator III
Overview: 9to5 seeks an experienced full-time Communications professional
who will be responsible for the integrated communication and promotion of the brand and work of 9to5 in Colorado. Reporting to the CO State Director, they will be responsible for creating and implementing a communications strategy for 9to5 in Colorado, and for producing high-quality communications products that amplify 9to5’s position as one of the largest, most respected women’s economic justice organizations in the country. The position will be based in our Denver, Colorado office but the position can also be remote if located outside of the Denver metro area.
About 9to5: Founded in 1973, we fight for economic justice through the lens of gender, race and class. We achieve our mission through grassroots organizing, leadership development, policy advocacy at a state and national level, and civic engagement. Current campaigns focus on paid family and medical leave ballot implementation, anti-discrimination, initiatives toward housing justice including statewide rent control, worker’s rights, and federal and state climate justice work centering on Green New Deal and THRIVE act initiatives.
We have members throughout the country, currently we have about 30 staff members, 12 in CO, and physical offices in Atlanta, Georgia; Denver, Colorado; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 9to5 is a highly collaborative work environment of mostly women who are deeply committed to the cause. For more information, see our website at www.9to5.org.
Specific Communications Responsibilities Include:
- Supervision of other staff members
- Collaborate with the State Director, the Communications Coordinator II, and Colorado team
- Ensure all material is coming from an anti-oppression, race and gender justice lens
- Using an editorial calendar, create engaging content in English and Spanish for diverse channels
- Translate research, policy, and public opinion documents into materials accessible by general audiences
- Collaborate with the Communications Coordinator II to manage 9to5’s Colorado’s social media channels, including the development of original content, curating content, engaging target audiences, and evaluating impact.
- Lead strategy to uplift our legal work in collaboration with our attorney and leadership team
- Introduce elements of digital organizing framework to communications strategy development
- Coordinate and manage pitches and place stories and op-eds in high-value media outlets
- Manage digital components of event logistics using OutreachCircle and Action Network
- Support members and organizers in interviews and public speaking opportunities
- Support admin with new contacts and member follow-up from different organizational programs and data input in our CRM
- Build and maintain relationships with reporters and track earned media opportunities and press contacts
- Participate and potentially chair or co-chair communications subcommittees for campaigns related to 9to5’s core issue areas
- Develop and implement communications campaign strategy for specific legislative and ballot initiatives related to core issue areas
- A minimum of 2-3 years of communications experience in the development of marketing and informational materials, public relations / media relations, writing and research, project management and /or information technology;
- Preferred knowledge of state level political and legislative processes;
- Preferred Bilingual English-Spanish;
- Preferred background in social justice and grassroots organizing;
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or other related field;
- Demonstrated creativity in the design of marketing, public relations or educational programs and communications materials;
- Knowledge of WordPress, Coschedule, Action Network, or other related digital advocacy software;
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-oppression and ability to work with diverse populations;
- Must be able to flex work hours at times, as needed, for special events;
- Must have ability to travel to Denver Metro area 1-2 times a month for special events and strategic planning
Details: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate, with a target goal of February 1, 2022.
This is a full-time position (40 hours/week), offering a salary package of $50,000 with generous health and paid time off benefits. 9to5 is an affirmative action employer. Women of color, lesbian, queer and transgender women, women living with disabilities and older women are encouraged to apply. This position is a bargaining unit position in the 9to5 staff union.
To apply: Send letter of interest, resume, a writing sample, a marketing/ design sample and reference list to: email@example.com. Put “Colorado Full-time Communications Coordinator III” in the subject line. No calls please.
Job posted: 2022-01-09