Communications & Design Manager
REPORTS TO Communications Director
CLASSIFICATION Exempt, Full time
DESCRIPTION The Communications & Design Manager works with the Communications Director in marketing and communications activities to promote GFWC, its activities, and the voices of its members. In addition to the list below, the Manager will carry out other assigned tasks that are consistent with the general area of responsibilities of this position.
- Handles day-to-day operations of www.GFWC.org, including content management, regular audits and troubleshooting, and applying keyword and search engine optimization content strategies.
- Manages the member experience in the GFWC Member Portal for the members-only digital library, as well as the creation of and upkeep of all resource documents and forms.
- Conducts content management for the GFWC Blog, regular newsletter columns submitted by members, and other content as assigned. Edits for message consistency and tone, style/grammar, and readability—all while maintaining the author’s voice.
- Regularly updates comprehensive manual for GFWC’s clubs in InDesign.
- Lays out GFWC’s weekly e-newsletter and other electronic communications as needed.
- Monitors and promptly responds, as appropriate, to inquiries and engagement on the organization’s social media platforms and in the PR@GFWC.org mailbox. Identifies conversations and topics that may need to influence GFWC’s communications.
- Creates social media and website graphics to support themes, campaigns, and priorities set by GFWC’s leadership and committees.
- Writes social media posts and adapts content originally written for print for GFWC social media audiences.
- Assists Director in maintaining the social media content calendar, analyzing social media results, and developing social media strategies.
- Uses established branding, maintains consistency in the designs of email banners, forms, certificates, report covers, etc.
- Works with web developers to test new website features and answers member inquiries about using www.GFWC.org.
- Attends and participates in GFWC Conventions, governance meetings, and other meetings and special events as required. Manages audio/visuals as needed.
- Maintains GFWC photo library and photographs GFWC Headquarters events and other GFWC activities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, graphic design, or related area.
- Excels at copyediting that stays true to an author’s voice.
- Superb proofreading skills and an eye for detail when laying out graphics and text.
- Proficiency in Photoshop and InDesign. Familiarity with Adobe Illustrator.
- Comfortable troubleshooting day-to-day software and systems errors with minimal supervision. Knowledge of HTML code a plus.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and website keywords content strategies.
- A master multi-tasker who can juggle multiple deadlines and priorities in a small-staff environment.
Please submit a writing sample, design/layout sample, résumé, and cover letter via e-mail to cdeguzman@GFWC.org. In the cover letter, please briefly share the top improvement that you would make to www.GFWC.org and why. Please include “Communications & Design Manager Position” in the subject line of your e-mail message.
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. GFWC Headquarters is a National Historic Landmark located at 1734 N Street, NW in Washington D.C. Headquarters serves as the working offices for the GFWC International President and staff, and it is also the home of the Women’s History and Resource Center.
Job posted: 2020-07-29