Communications and Digital Media Associate
Taxpayers for Common Sense is looking for a digital communications associate to fill a highly cross-functional position that supports our organization’s growing and evolving needs. It’s a great opportunity to learn, grow, and help shape the organization’s intersection of policy and outreach at a time when communications strategy is ever changing. On any given day you can expect to maintain core organizational tracking documents and systems, update content or software, research and parse metrics, manage and report on social media campaigns, and keep us up-to-date.
TCS is a great place to work. We strive to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and do their best work. We have a commitment to diversity and inclusion, and applicants of color are encouraged to apply. Of our ten staff, many have been here more than 10 years. TCS alumni have gone on to work as senior staff for House and Senate committees and members, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Office of Congressional Ethics, the White House, and other national nonprofits and foundations, among many other prestigious employers. The position is in the TCS office in DC, however we are all virtual at present. We hope to have at least some in-person later this year, once it is safe to do so. Great coffee in the office, excellent lunch options in the neighborhood, and one block from metro and bikeshare.
- Coordinate and manage tracking of organization communications including press and digital output
- Update, refresh, or help create web content – especially during rapid response opportunities or busy legislative periods
- Run social media campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, Google Ads, and more
- Manage organization’s digital marketing (Google AdWords, Facebook campaigns, twitter ads, Google display ads)
- Identify, analyze, and work with the communications team to fix digital weaknesses with regards to SEO, social media engagement
- Support organization’s digital and traditional communications needs during key moments (e.g. SOTU, shutdowns, etc.) or major legislative opportunities and moments (President’s Budget Request, CRs, recent tax bill, hearings, testimonies, etc.)
- Keep website, social media platforms, and digital outreach methods current
- Identify and stay ahead of the digital curve to help TCS most effectively engage, educate, and grow multiple audiences (the Hill, trade reporters, media, donors, subscribers, and the general public)
- Provide additional communications support as needed
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- 1 – 3 years of related experience in communications; preferably for an advocacy group, nonprofit, or political campaign
- Mass email marketing (Campaign Monitor, Mailchimp)
- Social media campaigns, engagement, monitoring, and tracking
- Google Analytics and Google Search Console
- Website design and production, and all the players involved
Capable, if not experienced:
- in HTML and CSS, and able to coordinate smoothly and quickly with a developer
- InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- CRM tools (Salesforce)
- Video production skills are highly desirable
- Aware of best practices with regards to content, copyright, and the daily building blocks of long term digital success; and developing strategy using analytics, content testing, and more
We expect all members of the communications team to have/be:
- An abiding interest in policy and government. You do not have to be a subject matter expert, but you need to be interested in what is going on and recognize if breaking news affects the organization
- Comfortable with the idea that communications – especially in the digital sphere – changes fast and often; and that TCS’ day can change in an instant if we are responding to events on the Hill
- Desire to dig into the details
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, strong proof-reading skills, and high level of attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively supporting cross-departmental teams
- Ability to multitask – i.e., stay focused on deliverables amid several simultaneous conversations, especially during periods of heavy legislative activity
- Willingness to share light office duties with a small and dedicated staff
- Commitment to nonpartisan mission, sense of humor, willingness to both take direction and pitch in where needed.
This position is in the TCS office in Washington, DC. Competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, vision, dental insurance; Metro SmartTrip deferral; 403b investment plan available. Taxpayers for Common Sense is an equal opportunity employer.
Send a cover letter with salary history, resume, brief writing or project sample, and contact information for three references by email only to: email@example.com, subject line “Communications and Digital Media Associate.” Please, no calls.
Apply as soon as possible, application open until filled.
Job posted: 2021-10-02