Communications and Digital Media Associate
At the Institute, we believe that communicating about the work is a critical part of the work itself.
The Institute seeks a Communications and Digital Media Associate to contribute to that work, and to help drive and support Institute visibility and advocacy.
This is an exciting opportunity at a critical time to advance racial and social justice on behalf of New Jersey’s communities of color in the Institute’s three programmatic areas: (1) economic mobility; (2) criminal justice reform; and (3) democracy and justice.
Using a holistic approach to address the unique and critical issues facing New Jersey’s communities of color, the Institute’s cutting-edge racial justice work advocates for systemic reform that is at once transformative, achievable in the state and replicable across the nation.
The Communications and Digital Media Associate will work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment, using social media and other communications tools to advocate on behalf of the racial and social justice issues promoted by the Institute’s Criminal Justice Reform, Economic Justice and Democracy & Justice Programs.
The role will work closely with the Director of Communications, our graphic designer and the programs teams.
We are looking for a blend of skills including social media, basic website management and media relations.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep commitment to social and racial justice work, be a good writer and be a detail-oriented, organized and a proactive team player.
During a pivotal moment in time for racial justice across the country and in New Jersey, this role is an exciting opportunity to be part of one of the most dynamic and impactful movements of the day.
Reports to: Director of Communications
Roles and Responsibilities:
· Help build the Institute’s social media presence, brand and engagement
· Create and schedule content for robust Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn and other channels using message-driven, creative and compelling text and images
· Analyze social media metrics and make recommendations based on data
· Generate and pitch digital media campaigns to the Director of Communications to promote the Institute’s legislative and other advocacy
· Regularly update organization’s website
· Track and report data analytics on a quarterly basis
· Provide input and support on eventual website overhaul
· Maintain media database
· Monitor news for Institute and related subject matter mentions
· Contribute to strategic and tactical planning
· Assist with internal communications, including distribution of press clips, organization of speaking engagements and other items
· Assist with event planning, production and promotion
· Provide support with press releases, eblasts and other communications and media-related materials and tasks
Experience and Qualifications:
· 4-year degree in communications, journalism or other applicable field
· Experience managing social media accounts
· Experience with Google Analytics and Facebook Ad Manager (a plus)
· Strong written, verbal and proofreading skills
· A good sense of story-telling
· The ability to maintain brand and institutional voice
· Proficient in Zoom and other video platforms
· Passion for and familiarity with today’s social and racial justice issues
· Familiarity with media databases such as Cision (a plus)
· Basic video editing skills (a plus)
· Experience with CMS (content management system) websites, such as NationBuilder – or aptitude for learning
· Knowledge of New Jersey politics, media and policy landscape, and organizations/coalitions (a plus)
About the New Jersey Institute for Social Justice
The Institute is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture.
Established in 1999 by Alan V. and Amy Lowenstein, the Institute’s cutting-edge racial and social justice advocacy seeks to empower people of color by building reparative systems that create wealth, transform justice and harness democratic power – from the ground up – in New Jersey.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and will be accepted until the position is filled. Please email your cover letter, resume, professional writing samples on which you are the primary author and three professional references to email@example.com. Please submit your application materials via Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF. Include all attachments in a single email stating in the subject line: “Communications and Digital Media Associate.”
Job posted: 2021-03-22