Splice seeks a Communications Director to join the team to help evolve and tell the story of how Splice is transforming the music industry and how the industry is transforming around Splice. The ideal candidate is creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized. An
innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output. A fantastic writer who can flex styles to write on behalf of Splice, to ghostwrite on behalf of execs, and potentially even write for consumers; the ideal candidate is also a fantastic thinker who deeply understands the music industry today — the nuances of the interesting issues at hand, the perspectives of different players in the industry, the channels and outlets where different constituents are getting their news and joining the conversation. This person will report to the VP of Marketing and also work closely with the CEO.
As advocates for artists everywhere, we’re building a creative ecosystem for music producers. With this ecosystem, we’re cultivating a global community of creators that fosters inspiration, connection, focus, and growth.
Our work environment is no different. We encourage inclusion, collaboration, big ideas, helping where we can and asking for assistance when we need it. We aim for steady, measured expansion through experimentation and iteration. We encourage optimism, respect, accountability, and transparency in the workplace. We’re trailblazers who aren’t afraid to stumble, because every stumble offers an opportunity to continuously improve our processes, products, strategies, and even ourselves.
We don’t just hire people who mirror our culture. We hire people who add to it.
What You’ll Do?
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop a strategic communications roadmap for Splice.
- Draft and oversee the distribution of all press releases and corporate communications.
- Collaborate with Executives and Marketing Directors to refine Splice’s core messages and develop proof-points for those messages.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance Splice’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create a public relations strategy that will allow Splice leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Develop and pitch strategic, creative stories, from “treetops” pieces about trends in the industry to “grassroots” stories about how our community is using Splice.
- Collaborate with the Community and Artist team to uncover compelling stories of creators using Splice.
- Secure speaking engagements, op-eds, and other thought leadership opportunities for Splice leaders.
- Represent Splice or the Splice perspective at industry events.
- Help Splice executives forge relationships with key journalists.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with the leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as communications counselor to Splice leadership.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Splice programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Recruit and manage a communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
What We’re Looking For?
As the Communications Director at Splice, you might find yourself:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred
- Minimum 10 years experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency
- A minimum of five years experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of high-performing Board of Directors
- Self reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance, and administration initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Splice’s Board of Directors and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Passion for Splice’s mission
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Splice is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability or age.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-02