SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Communications Director
Salary: $60,267 – $87,808/YR
Location: Portland, OR (LOCAL 49)
The 2 million members united in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) are at the forefront of a movement to build power for working people and empower all workers to form unions, no matter what job they do. SEIU members are from every walk of life, every political party, every background, every faith. They come from communities with their own stories and strengths, and that makes the Union all the more powerful because there’s strength in numbers. SEIU members work across the healthcare spectrum providing high quality care and services. They are the workers who keep our nation’s airports running and make sure landmark buildings are clean and secure. They provide essential public services and give a foundation of learning to our youngest and brightest. SEIU members believe in and are fighting for a Just Society where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where they come from or what color they are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
Overview about SEIU LOCAL 49:
SEIU Local 49 represents a diverse group of 15,000 healthcare and property service workers throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington. Our members include: hospital and healthcare workers, security officers, janitors and workers in manufacturing and other industries. The continued growth of our union reflects an aggressive approach to organizing and community engagement on key progressive issues, paired with a longstanding dedication to improving the wages, benefits and working conditions of working families. Local 49 is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), one of the largest and fastest-growing unions in the United States.
This position directs internal membership communications, external media communications, and new organizing communications through print, digital, paid and earned media to achieve social and economic justice for working people and their families.
- Develop and oversee communications and design in print, digital and earned media that builds activism to improve the lives of workers.
- Supervise media coverage for our union and build relationships with media that generate positive coverage of our Mission.
- Provide effective direction to consultants, partner organizations and others.
- Train members and staff on best practices in communication.
- Work collaboratively with union leaders and staff around key issues and campaigns to translate a vision of our union’s work into written and digital communications projects.
- Identify opportunities to publicly communicate workers’ stories and experiences.
SEIU staff enjoy excellent employer-sponsored benefits to include comprehensive health benefits (major medical, dental and vision coverage) for employees and eligible dependents; domestic partner benefits; competitive compensation; generous holiday and vacation leave policies; and both a pension retirement plan and a 401(k)retirement savings plan.
Strategic Planning and Content Development:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrated success in strategic messaging.
- Ability to write and develop a communications plan that includes digital, written, paid, and earned media to a variety of audiences.
- Distill complex information to create short and relevant messages to a target audience.
- Manage content on various platforms including website and social media.
- Appreciate beautiful design, understand fresh approaches and have a knack for smart copy.
- Manage up and laterally to develop and implement communications plans.
- Ability to work with working-class membership from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong strategic planner, able to drive toward multiple deadlines with various departments and goals.
- Strategically prioritize tasks to maximize time without sacrificing quality.
- Develop systems to track details accurately.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
Earned and Paid Media:
- Experience drafting and writing earned media communications such as press releases, advisories, public statements and media talking points.
- Experience working with members of the media.
- Experience prepping people for press statements, interviews and public appearances.
- Good general knowledge of political events and current affairs.
- Experience supervising staff and managing vendors–consultants, mail, social media, etc.
- Actively invites feedback and can quickly implement it to create new and interesting content and gives meaningful and thoughtful feedback to staff.
- Manages to a deadline and budget.
Equity and Inclusion:
- Commitment to social, economic and racial justice.
- Demonstrated energy and excitement to work with low-income people, people of color, and people who identify as LGBTQ.
- Written and/or spoken Spanish not required but highly desired.
Physical Requirements: Weekend and evening work is required, as is the ability to walk and canvass for extended periods of time during campaigns. Comp time for most weekend work.
Application Requirements: Interested candidates should submit resume, cover letter and two samples of writing and two samples of design work.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ENTER JOB DESCRIPTION HERE
Job posted: 2020-07-16