POSITION OVERVIEW: Define American is seeking an experienced, energetic, and collaborative communications expert to join its team as its full-time Communications Director. Strong and clear leadership skills required. The Communications Director will work with Senior Leadership and report to the Executive Team. This position supervises a small team of people, including the web and graphics designer, and the digital communications strategist. The ideal candidate will assist in building and maintaining our organization communications strategy, including brand development and marketing, while overseeing and supporting media outreach for strategic initiatives and programs.
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday; weekend and evening work may be required on occasion
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
DEPARTMENT: Strategic Operations, Communications
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
TRAVEL: <25% (During COVID-19, no travel will be permitted by staff. All meetings will be held remotely until a suitable treatment or vaccine is developed and distributed nationwide.)
- Development of a cohesive and comprehensive communications strategy that maximizes key opportunities to amplify and promote Define American’s brand and programs.
- Guide earned media support for all programmatic initiatives in the areas of research, news media, entertainment media, digital storytelling, and the Define American fellowship program.
- Cultivate an environment of readiness and alertness, with an exceptional ability to rapidly respond to breaking stories.
- Develop and maintain a positive organizational reputation, and maintain cohesive and consistent branding and messaging across platforms and mediums to ensure the public views the organization clearly and favorably.
- Quality assurance of all materials and information released.
- Create rich and creative content that is optimized for search engines.
- Develop deployment and marketing strategies for internal and external publications such as newsletters, press releases, stakeholder email announcements, planned publications, video content, special projects, and assignments, to optimize engagement with content.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, producers, and editors particularly in large national media outlets.
- Management of communications department staff and vendors, as well as providing cross-functional leadership and engagement with Define American staff.
- In coordination with organizational leadership, represent Define American and aid in the presentation of materials to funders, members of the Board of Directors, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead internal and external communications trainings that are timely and relevant.
- MBA or advanced degree in Communications, Marketing or a related field; or 10 years of experience in nonprofit and/or advocacy-related communications.
- An extensive list of National and key-market media contacts – both with publications and journalism supporting organizations.
- Experience managing the brand of a national organization.
- Awareness of and proficiency with communications technologies, including social media platforms and digital video production.
- Ability to successfully mitigate unexpected challenges and think outside the box while working with a small team.
- Successful task manager with strong interpersonal, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Proven leadership skills in navigating relationships with news organizations and media professionals.
- Graphic design, journalism, programming, video production experience is a plus.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- 401K match
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Health and Wellness Program
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit your employment application, along with all requested documents, via our employment application portal.
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!
Define American is an equal opportunity employer and 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.
Job posted: 2020-09-23