Institute for Public Health Innovation
Established in 2009, the Institute for Public Health Innovation (IPHI) is a regional non-profit organization that develops multi-sector partnerships and innovative solutions to improve the public’s health and well-being across Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. IPHI’s work strengthens health systems and policy, enhances conditions that promote health, and strengthens government and community capacity to ensure equitable health opportunities for all. IPHI is the official designated public health institute serving the region as recognized by the National Network of Public Health Institutes.
The Institute for Public Health Innovation (IPHI) is recruiting an experienced, strategic, collaborative team member to serve as Communications Director for the organization. The Communications Director will be responsible for providing overall direction to IPHI’s communications efforts across all portfolios of work, ensuring consistency and best practice, and supporting IPHI’s organizational visibility and marketing efforts. This senior-level team member will build the communications capacity of the organization overall and direct communications strategies on specific IPHI programs and initiatives. Successful candidates will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and take initiative to shape this newly created role.
The Communications Director must have an overall understanding of, and proven experience in, conceptualizing and implementing communications strategies as a key element of non-profit programming and campaigns. This will require a blend of communications skills, including experience with digital strategies. The Communications Director will be a self-starter with strong project management skills and the ability to provide leadership across the organization. This full-time employee will report directly to IPHI’s President & CEO.
This is a full-time position with competitive benefits and an anticipated salary range of $80-90K, commensurate with experience.
IPHI has offices in Washington, DC; Largo, MD; and Richmond, VA. During the COVID-19 pandemic, this employee may work remotely. Long-term remote work arrangements from within the DC-MD-VA region may be considered for outstanding candidates.
- In the first 90 days, complete a Communications Plan, including performance measures
- Lead organizational efforts to build IPHI’s brand through various marketing and communications strategies
- Provide guidance to staff and consultants working on communications aspects of various projects and programs
- Work closely with program teams to develop and drive communications and media strategies from conception to implementation for specific projects and public health issue areas
- Create effective messages, storylines, and public relations pitches
- Develop strategies to gain exposure for IPHI’s work, including through national, state and local news outlets
- Cultivate relationships with key media outlets and reporters and maintain media contact lists
- Prepare leadership team members for media interviews
- Develop key messages and draft press releases and other PR and marketing materials
- Assist with writing, editing and production for website, reports/publications, blogs, short videos and podcasts, grant proposals, stakeholder communications, and other activities
- Provide direction and implementation support for capturing and sharing stories of IPHI’s impact
- Support the senior management team with internal communications approaches and messages
- Refine and lead internal communications strategies to engage a recently expanded and dispersed team
- Monitor and report on the overall effectiveness and results of internal and external communication efforts
- Design and implement a social media strategy to align with measurable communications and organization goals.
- Define, monitor, and adjust SEO and web traffic metrics.
- Stay current with technologies and trends in social media, design tools, and other communications applications.
- At least eight years of relevant experience applying communications, digital strategy, and media relations expertise in a mission-driven nonprofit environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or another relevant field.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communications skills.
- Significant professional experience designing and implementing integrated communications strategies across a range of platforms including traditional and digital media.
- Demonstrated understanding of the nuance required to communicate about public health.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and eagerness to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, growing organization.
- Highly collaborative style with a proven ability to engage a diverse team.
- Experience building the effective communications capacity for staff and local partners through support, coaching, and training.
- Commitment to advance public health, health equity and racial equity.
- Experience using digital media evaluation tools.
- Experience working on a regional level, in cross-cultural settings with dispersed teams.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Experience using WordPress.
- Experience using design tools such as Canva.
- Additional language skills.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and short recent and relevant writing sample (no more than 4 pages). In your cover letter, please share a story about a time when you relied on your creativity and entrepreneurial spirit to take ownership of your role or a project.
The Institute for Public Health Innovation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
Job posted: 2021-01-05