Global Forest Generation (GFG) is a US-based 501(c)3 NGO which develops large-scale, multi-country, native forest ecosystem restoration programs. We work with local conservation partners and communities to protect existing forest and regenerate vital ecosystems for their critical role in preserving water, storing carbon, and protecting biodiversity, while helping to sustain local and indigenous community livelihoods. GFG’s first flagship initiative is Accion Andina, which seeks to restore and protect one million hectares of high Andean, native forests in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela over the next 25 years. GFG is contributing to the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration and the World Economic Forum’s Trillion Tree campaign 1t.org to implement immediate, comprehensive, long-term nature-based solutions to climate change.
The Communications Director will be instrumental in building GFG’s communications division, leading efforts to position GFG as a global restoration leader. That person will be supervised by the Executive Director and work closely with GFG’s executive team and local initiative partners in Latin America.
- Develop and lead an effective and lean GFG communications division.
- Refine and promote GFG’s brand consistently across all channels.
- Help position GFG as a “thought-leader” internationally among target audiences in conservation, restoration, and climate forums.
- Engage with GFG donors and strategic partners to maximize fundraising opportunities and engagement.
- Develop high-quality written, digital, and visual content for targeted audiences.
- Help develop the communication capacities of GFG’s local conservation partners.
Specific Duties include:
- Creating a strong GFG communications strategy and 12-month work plan.
- Developing and managing GFG’s communications department’s annual budget.
- Updating GFG’s website; managing GFG’s profile and content on partner websites.
- Engaging with communications partners in the international community to contribute, with creative content, to the success of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
- In partnership with GFG’s development team, supporting fundraising by providing content for donor reports and proposals.
- Travel (post COVID) to get to know partners and projects, as well as participating in online and on-site events as a representative of GFG.
Qualifications and Background:
- Passionate about native forest conservation and knowledgeable about environmental issues.
- Senior level manager with at least 5+ years of experience in nonprofit communications, with a track record of developing and leading a communications program.
- Excellent writing and story-telling skills.
- Comfortable with new technologies and engagement with multiple audiences, international organizations, and donors.
- Highly collaborative with the ability to oversee a communications team working remotely.
- Deadline-oriented with excellent time-management skills and attention to detail.
- Creativity and flexibility to undertake new assignments and identify new opportunities in a rapidly evolving space.
- Native English speaker, with an advanced knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese a strong plus.
- Experience working with Spanish-language media and partners a plus.
Level of Language Proficiency
Full English fluency required.
Advanced knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese a strong plus.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should be “Communications Director Application.”
Job posted: 2021-01-12