Stand Up America is a progressive, digital-first advocacy organization with over 2 million grassroots members who are working to stand up to corruption and racist voter suppression and build a more representative democracy. We’re fighting for democracy reforms at the local, state, and federal level that would expand voting rights, reduce the impact of big money in our politics, and end structural barriers that conservatives have built to impede progressive change. Our members have driven more than a million constituent calls to their representatives, mobilized tens of thousands of protestors, contacted tens of millions of voters, and helped pass bold democracy reforms at the state and federal levels.
We envision a democracy where:
- Every American has representation, regardless of where they live.
- Racist barriers to the ballot are torn down and voting rights are expanded to ensure that voting is accessible, secure, and treated as the sacred right that it is.
- Americans from all walks of life can run for office and win based on the power of their ideas, voice, and experience — not on how much money they can raise from themselves or wealthy donors.
- Our government is responsive to the will of the American people — and will finally take bold action on the pressing issues facing our nation, from gun violence and climate change to immigration reform and racial & economic justice.
We seek a Communications Director who can help us develop a long-term communications plan in support of these goals, refine our messaging, and continue to increase our visibility as a democracy reform organization.
The Communications Director will join a mission-driven and energetic team that is fully remote for now.
- Develop and execute short and long-term communications plans in consultation with our President, Managing Director, and other senior staff;
- Oversee the creation, editing, and distribution of all press materials, including press releases, statements, and memos;
- Develop, update, and maintain internal messaging guidance on various democracy reform initiatives in consultation with the political department;
- Regularly attend polling briefings and review messaging research conducted by partner organizations to inform our campaigns and content;
- Occasionally spearhead our own research in collaboration with partners;
- Cultivate relationships with bookers, producers, and reporters to highlight SUA’s work
- Collaborate with communications teams from other progressive organizations to generate media attention for SUA and coalition efforts;
- Organize media events;
- Hire and manage a communications staffer to assist you in these responsibilities;
- Report directly to our Managing Director and be a member of our senior leadership team.
- At least 5 years of experience working in communications for advocacy groups, political candidates, in government, or for political organizations;
- Excellent writing skills, with experience crafting messaging and developing press materials about complex policy issues for different audiences;
- Experience working with reporters in a crowded media environment, including as an on-the-record spokesperson;
- Existing relationships with reporters and bookers;
- Experience planning media events;
- Ability to think strategically & plan long-term without losing sight of unexpected opportunities;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work effectively in high-intensity environments;
- A sense of humor, even in difficult moments.
- Passionate about voting rights, reducing the influence of big money in our elections, and democracy reform;
- Someone who believes that grassroots activism matters;
- Creative and self-motivated to find opportunities to promote SUA’s work and objectives;
- Fun to work with and a true team player;
- Coolheaded during high-pressure scenarios and breaking news moments.
Stand Up America celebrates diversity in race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, class, ability, life experiences, and background. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer—women, Black, Indigenous, and people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Stand Up America’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is key to our mission of building a more representative democracy and reforming a political system that has given white, wealthy Americans a louder voice and more power than Black, Indigenous, and people of color for far too long.
Salary & Benefits
Our benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, including 100% subsidy of monthly premiums
- SIMPLE IRA with matching of employee contributions up to 3% of salary
- 3 weeks flexible paid time off per calendar year, plus an additional week in December, for a total of 4 weeks per year
- Additional paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Annual professional development stipend
- Computer and accessories for at-home and in-office work
- A fun work environment with colleagues who are respectful of one another and passionate about their work.
Salary range: $100,000-125,000, commensurate with experience.
*We are currently fully remote with team members located across the country. Once our New York City office re-opens, employees may choose to work from the office all or part of the time, or choose to work remotely. All employees will be required to attend some in-person meetings and retreats throughout the year, with travel expenses paid for by Stand Up America. For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion internally and in our advocacy efforts, click here.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-09