Diaspora Rising is a media and advocacy hub dedicated to strengthening the bonds
amongst members of the global Black family. More than a hub, DR aims to serve as a support
to 21st century Pan Africanist movements, using the latest digital technology to facilitate
connectivity and exchange.
Diaspora Rising (DR) seeks a strategic, adaptable, and innovative Communications Director to join our growing team. The Communications Director is tasked with developing and supporting the growth and direction of DR’s brand by building narrative power and advancing the goals of Diaspora Rising. The Communications Director will ideate, develop, implement and evaluate Diaspora Rising communications strategies across issue areas. In collaboration with the Diaspora Rising leadership team, the Communications Director will develop a strategic plan to galvanize participation and mobilization for Diaspora Rising’s work.
The Communications Director will:
- Use strategic communications to create visibility for Diaspora Rising and our initiatives
- Develop and oversee strategy for Diaspora Rising programmatic work that aligns with our goals and objectives
- Implement organizational and programmatic communication activities
- Train and manage relevant staff on communications-related activities
- Work seamlessly with social media and digital teams to ensure cohesive communication across various mediums
The ideal candidate has five to seven years of experience in developing and implementing communications strategies with an analysis on race and gender. The candidate will be well-versed on current events in Africa, the political, economic, and social landscape throughout the Continent and the depth and breadth of the African Diaspora. The ideal candidate would have some knowledge and experience on issues of concern to the African Diaspora in Central and South America, the Caribbean, Asia, and Europe. The ideal candidate is quick, relational, detail-oriented, flexible, and able to dig into analytics to assess what works. They know how to engage authentically and creatively with constituents. They should be comfortable juggling multiple tasks and should thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative team environment.
Essential Job Functions
- Work to support and develop Diaspora Rising’s communications team, including hiring, management, professional development, evaluation, work planning, etc.
- Work with the communications and issues team to develop, implement, and evaluate Diaspora Rising’s internal and external communications strategies, including but not limited to strategic communications, digital, web and tech, press and editorial, and design
- Develop and edit values-aligned internal and external organizational content and materials, such as messaging guides, speeches, organizational statements, web copy, op-eds, communications briefs, etc.
- Collaborate with consultant teams and Diaspora Rising leadership on rapid-response strategies, preparedness, and crisis management
- Collaborate with Diaspora Rising coalition organizations and campaign partners to proliferate Diaspora Rising’s ideas, strategies, and assessments in movement-wide efforts
- Handle other projects related to building narrative power for Diaspora Rising as assigned
- Bachelors Degree a field such as Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or Marketing.
- 7-10 years of experience developing, implementing, and evaluating communications strategies for advocacy, nonprofit, or base-building organizations
- A commitment to Black liberation for the Global Black diaspora, and a commitment to issues of racial justice and equity
- 1-3 years of experience supporting and developing communications staff
- Strong analytical skills for developing messaging on issues and evaluating media strategies
- Management and planning skills to pursue numerous concurrent projects
- Flexibility to adjust to fast-developing issues and changing political circumstances, as well as an exuberant attitude toward challenges
- Language skills in any African language, French, Spanish and/or Portuguese, is a plus
This position will ideally be located in Washington DC or New York City and is exempt, full-time (40 hours per week) position.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, CV, and 3 writing samples to: email@example.com
Job posted: 2021-04-13