Chaloner has partnered with The Partnership for Public Service on their search for a Communications Director for its new initiative, the Alliance for Congress. The Partnership for Public Service is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a compelling mission: they are working to help make the federal government a more dynamic, innovative and effective servant of the American people, and have a great team that helps make it happen.
Their staff is diverse in experience and perspective, but at their core, they share a lot of the same traits. They are mission-driven, creative, collaborative, optimistic and inclusive.
Their work is strategic, fast-paced and guided by their values:
- Passion for public service and their work toward a more effective government
- People who promote a culture of learning, leadership, collaboration, inclusion and respect
- Persistence to drive change, take strategic risks and deliver results
- Promise to be trustworthy, nonpartisan and fiscally responsible
They hire smart and friendly people who are great at what they do and are good to one another in the process.
The Partnership for Public Service is seeking a strategic, results-oriented and experienced communications professional to lead the communications efforts for its new initiative, the Alliance for Congress. Launching in 2021, the Alliance for Congress will promote public service and effective government by helping Congress become a healthier institution and a more capable steward of the executive branch. They envision a well-functioning Congress that will:
- Solve problems through nonpartisan legislation and oversight.
- Work effectively with executive branch leaders.
- Invest in its own capacity to learn, legislate and lead.
- Earn the trust and support of the public.
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the Communications Director will develop and implement the Alliance for Congress communications strategy, build excitement about the brand, and inspire audiences and supporters to engage with their work. You will develop and implement multi-channel communications plans and strategies to further the initiative’s goals, including identifying strategic messaging, channels and tactics, engaging with media, developing and promoting advocacy campaigns, and providing oversight to the marketing and digital engagement efforts including social media, email, website content and constituent relationship management.
This position will also lead a comprehensive project to coordinate messaging across organizations working to empower and strengthen Congress. For this, the Communications Director will identify new audiences and allies critical to this effort and align messages to broaden the impact of the Alliance for Congress. As part of this project, the Communications Director will develop a strategy document that serves as the foundation for messages and messengers seeking to strengthen Congress.
The Communications Director will work as part of an interdisciplinary communications team of marketing, graphic design, social media, editorial, media, and events staff, and as a result should be able to collaborate with others and contribute ideas.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and execute on a communication strategy for the Alliance for Congress. Engage with the Alliance for Congress team to develop strategies that support the initiative’s goals.
- Build a communication strategy to serve as the foundation for messages and messengers seeking to strengthen Congress.
- Align and coordinate messages from allies with the Alliance for Congress to provide value to the broader field of organizations working to strengthen Congress.
- Cultivate and develop relationships with key influencers to build long-term familiarity with the Alliance for Congress, its director and allies.
- Develop and engage the Alliance for Congress’ allied organizations. Stay apprised of their activities and seek opportunities to inject and elevate their voices in the initiative’s work and the broader conversation.
- Cultivate, deploy and amplify a broader network of third-party validators who can lend their credibility and expertise to the Alliance for Congress’ work.
- Establish and grow a grassroots advocacy program that includes social marketing components and activates diverse voices from across the country in the conversation around strengthening Congress.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight on the initiative’s earned media, marketing, digital and social media efforts.
- Oversee the development and creation of a wide range of communications materials including press releases, media advisories, talking points, communications plans, official statements, brochures and blog posts.
- Build and develop relationships with communication representatives from Congressional offices and other partner organizations in support of the Alliance for Congress’ key initiatives.
- Make use of a wide range of tactics to increase the visibility, credibility and influence of the Alliance for Congress and its allies.
- Manage the Alliance for Congress communications team and external partners to ensure ongoing successful execution of initiative’s communication strategy
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, and experience working with senior leaders in crafting and delivering external messaging via multiple channels.
- Effective storyteller who is adept at translating complex concepts into compelling messages for different key audiences including federal leaders, policymakers and other thought leaders.
- A proven track record in managing successful communications campaigns across multiple platforms and experience leading grassroots or social marketing campaigns.
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and meeting tight deadlines.
- Very strong proofreading skills, strong eye for detail and concern for quality.
- A critical thinker with outstanding judgment and political savvy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to handle challenges and obstacles with tact, diplomacy and flexibility.
- Experience working collaboratively with internal teams and external partners.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a bipartisan or nonpartisan way.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Strongly motivated by the mission of the Partnership for Public Service and the Alliance for Congress.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or equivalent professional work or military experience.
- A minimum of 10-12 years in progressively more responsible roles and experience in media relations and strategic communications, preferably working on Capitol Hill or with other public officials, on political campaigns or with a political or advocacy organization.
- Experience developing and executing policy and/or advocacy campaigns using traditional, grassroots and digital communications strategies.
- An ability to grasp government reform issues and translate those issues into persuasive and easy-to-understand language.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY/REPORTING STRUCTURE
- This position reports to the Vice President of Communications.
- This position will supervise the Alliance for Congress Communications Manager and Associate Communications Manager.
The Partnership offices are located in Washington, DC, but we are accepting applications from candidates living outside of the area but within the United States. This position must work eastern time zone hours. This position requires consistent use of office equipment such as computer, telephone, printer and scanner. Please note that as a result of COVID-19, Partnership staff are currently working remotely.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position with regular work hours Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET. Occasional evening or weekend activities may be required as well. Please note that as a result of COVID-19, the Partnership is allowing maximum flexibility in work schedules.
If travel occurs, it is usually during the business day. Very little out of the area and/or overnight travel will be required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Partnership offers a compensation package that includes a competitive salary; medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; long- and short-term disability insurance; a 401K program with a 4 percent employer match; opportunities for training and development; 15 days of annual leave per year, 10 days of sick leave per year, plus all federal holidays and the day after Thanksgiving off; and use of an on-site exercise facility.
The Partnership strives to be an inclusive organization that fosters learning, collaboration and respect. They actively recruit for diversity in the workplace, believing that a range of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences contributes to their mission of revitalizing government. The Partnership for Public Service is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability; or on any other basis prohibited by law.
Interested candidates should apply by using the application form. Chaloner will review all applicants and, upon qualification, contact you to determine next steps.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-19