Founded in 1988, Food & Friends provides freshly prepared meals, nutrition support, and friendship to people living with AIDS, cancer, diabetes, and other life challenging illnesses. Our team of sixty employees and thousands of volunteers delivers meals and hope to people living in the District of Columbia and multiple counties across Maryland and Virginia. There is no charge or income qualification for our services, which are rendered solely on the basis of medical need.
We seek a Communications Director to strategically lead, coordinate and produce our print, online, broadcast, and social media communications, with special focus on digital fundraising. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Communications Director will:
- collaboratively develop and manage an integrated communications plan to promote and position Food & Friends’ brand including media relations, digital platforms and digital fundraising, social media, advertising and print collateral, and external community partnerships;
- create and execute media campaigns highlighting fundraising initiatives, service programs, and organizational achievements;
- create, edit, and publish newsletters, press releases, videos, and social media content, as well as manage Food & Friends’ web site;
- build and foster relationships with diverse media entities in the DC area;
- manage relationships with a variety of vendors; and
- supervise a digital communications staff member.
As the primary communications professional for Food & Friends, the Communications Director must be on-call outside of normal working hours, and available to work some evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must be willing to work in a traditional office environment.
The successful candidate will have a BA/BS, at least three years of mid-level communications experience (preferably at a nonprofit) with proven experience leading digital campaigns, and a valid driver’s license. Additional requirements include superb written and verbal communications skills; mastery of a variety of communications mediums including print, web, social media, and video; knowledge of content management systems; and an appreciation for diversity. Must be a strong copy writer with a skill for storytelling and an ear for a strong pitch for differing audiences. Offer of employment contingent upon a pre-employment drug test.
Food & Friends provides a competitive salary and generous benefits. Our staff enjoys a high quality, diverse work environment that includes short Fridays and casual dress. Food & Friends is Metro accessible, and has free on-site parking.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Mr. Lucas Ginn
Food & Friends
219 Riggs Road, NE
Washington, DC 20011
No phone calls, please
Food & Friends is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job posted: 2021-05-25