For Our Future Nevada
ABOUT FOR OUR FUTURE
For Our Future Nevada is a statewide coalition organization that builds progressive power through voter engagement and organizing within communities around key issues and candidates. We uplift the voices of the community and work to strengthen public education, advance social and racial justice, preserve our environment, and fight for working families. Our commitment to advancing progressive causes extends to the ballot box, and we work hard every election to support candidates who share our values.
For Our Future Nevada seeks a motivated and results-driven Communications Director to lead on media outreach, messaging, and content creation. The Communications Director develops, drives, and implements a comprehensive strategic communications plan in support of our advocacy efforts, voter communications and engagement, and electoral campaigning. You will secure positive coverage and media placements to advance our profile and campaign goals. You will work in tandem with in-state leadership, field, data, and digital staff to deliver on overall goals and deliverables and shape state programming to drive media engagement and outcomes.
Our ideal candidate has at least 2-5 years of strategic communications experience in a political, electoral, organizing, or progressive issue campaign environment; incredible writing and communications skills; a track record of impactful press placements; and thrives in a collaborative, campaign environment. The Communications Director reports to the State Director.This is a full-time position with a $75,000 salary. This position is based in Las Vegas, Nevada. Due to COVID, the position can begin remotely, but job offers are incumbent on candidates moving to Nevada by Labor Day 2021.
Interested candidates should submit a relevant writing sample along with their resume and cover letter, as well as complete a simulation exercise when invited to do so.
MEDIA RELATIONS & EXTERNAL AFFAIRS:
- Secure positive media coverage for our issue campaigns, champions, candidates, and partners.
- Proactively seek out news opportunities and creative placement strategies.
- Design and implement short- and long-term earned media plans.
- Organize and build press conferences, press calls, and other in-person and virtual media events.
- Write all media and external affairs materials including, press releases, media advisories, memos, op-eds, LTEs, pitch stories, backgrounders, slide decks, and digital content (including advertising copy), and other materials.
- Develop relationships with reporters and manage press lists.
- Amplify Spanish-language press by developing working relationships with reporters, press outlets, and spanish language radio stations.
- Leverage stories and storytellers in media and external events.
- Coordinate interviews and prepare staff for media and other public appearances.
- Support the planning and implementation of briefings and other events.
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson.
- Develop messaging for in-state campaigns and issues, align messaging with national priorities, and set a cohesive message for our program and external audiences.
- Track and stay current on relevant message research, guidance and polling on core issues and candidates.
- Draft digital content including email campaign messages, petitions and advocacy page copy, event invitations, website copy, and paid media copy.
- Review and provide content for voter and community outreach scripts.
- Edit and review all public facing materials.
- Support storyteller programs by assisting in storyteller screening, relationship cultivation, prep, and content development.
- Set and enforce comms protocols, in consultation with the national office.
- Analyze and report on communication metrics, communications department activity, and accomplishments to the national office and stakeholders on a timely basis.
- Contribute to organizational planning and lead on communications planning.
- Work closely with partners and allied organizations to foster a cohesive progressive communications infrastructure in state, including covering regular hub meetings, and provide comms capacity to partners and allies, as needed.
- Work closely with field, digital, and data staff to successfully integrate programs for increased impact.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 2-5 years of strategic communications experience in a political, electoral, organizing, or progressive issue campaign environment.
- Experience in media relations with a preference for advocacy/political communications.
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills;
- Fluency in Spanish (speaking, reading, and writing) preferred;
- Experience working with Spanish media outlets, strongly preferred.
- Possesses a clear sense of the political media landscape, the Nevada media markets, and has a thirst for consuming media.
- A track record of securing impactful press placements and building relationships with reporters; experience in attracting press coverage for virtual events.
- Strong understanding of digital communications and digital advertising and how they integrate with earned media and traditional communications.
- Ability to develop long-term plans, set objectives, and track progress toward achieving objectives.
- Solutions-oriented approach, with a willingness to take initiative, while juggling several priorities that may change quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, be nimble, reliable, committed to teamwork, organized, self-motivated, and adaptive to meet project needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels and backgrounds.
- Comfort in managing and following systems and processes.
- A passion for progressive causes and politics and alignment with our mission.
- Demonstrates diplomacy, respect, and sound judgment.
- Ability to maintain “Independent” firewall status, which may limit your ability to take outside employment or to volunteer with a candidate campaign or political party organization.
Job posted: 2021-05-27