For Our Future Ohio
ABOUT FOR OUR FUTURE
For Our Future Ohio is a statewide coalition organization that builds progressive power through voter engagement and organizing within communities around key issues and candidates. We uplift the voices of the community and work to strengthen public education, advance social and racial justice, preserve our environment, and fight for working families. Our commitment to advancing progressive causes extends to the ballot box, and we work hard every election to support candidates who share our values.
For Our Future Ohio seeks a motivated and results-driven Communications Director to lead media outreach, messaging, content creation, and digital strategy. The Communications Director develops, drives, and implements a comprehensive strategic communications plan in support of our advocacy efforts, voter communications and engagement, and electoral campaigning. You will secure positive coverage and media placements to advance our profile and campaign goals. You will work in tandem with in-state leadership, field, and data staff — and will manage digital staff — to deliver on overall goals and deliverables and shape state programming to drive media engagement and outcomes.
Our ideal candidate has at least 3+ years of strategic communications experience in a political, electoral, organizing, or progressive issue campaign environment; excellent writing and communications skills; a track record of impactful press placements; and understanding of and interest in digital communications; and thrives in a collaborative, campaign environment.
The Communications Director reports to the State Director. This is a full-time position with a salary range of $70,000-$80,000.
Due to COVID, the position can begin remotely, but will be based in Columbus, Ohio.
Interested candidates should submit their resume, a cover letter, and a relevant writing sample.
EARNED MEDIA & MEDIA RELATIONS
- Design and implement short- and long-term earned media and digital plans.
- Secure positive media coverage for our issue campaigns, organization, endorsed candidates, and partners.
- Proactively seek out news opportunities and creative placement strategies.
- Organize and build press conferences, press calls, and other in-person and virtual media events.
- Write media and communications materials including press releases, media advisories, op-eds, LTEs, talking points, and other materials.
- Develop relationships with and pitch reporters.
- Leverage stories and storytellers in earned and digital media.
- Coordinate interviews and prepare staff for media and other public appearances.
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson.
- Develop messaging for in-state campaigns and issues, align messaging with national priorities, and set a cohesive message for our program and external audiences.
- Track and stay current on relevant message research, guidance and polling on core issues and candidates.
- Oversee paid and organic digital strategy and integration of digital program across departments to meet overall program goals..
- Manage and support digital organizing staff in reaching their goals across channels and advancing their digital organizing leadership.
- Draft digital messaging content including, as needed, email campaign messages, petitions and advocacy page copy, event invitations, website copy, and paid media copy.
- Review and help draft content for voter and community outreach scripts.
- Edit and review all public facing materials.
- Analyze and report on communication metrics, communications department activity, and accomplishments to the national office and stakeholders on a timely basis.
- Contribute to organizational planning and lead on communications planning.
- Work closely with partners and allied organizations as part of a cohesive progressive communications infrastructure in state, including attending regular meetings, and providing communications capacity to partners and allies, as needed.
- Work closely with other departments to successfully integrate programs for increased impact.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 3+ years of strategic communications experience in a political, electoral, organizing, or progressive issue campaign environment.
- Experience in media relations with a preference for advocacy/political communications.
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills.
- Strong understanding of digital communications and digital advertising and how they integrate with earned media and traditional communications.
- Possesses a clear sense of the political media landscape, the Ohio media markets, and has a thirst for consuming media.
- A track record of securing impactful press placements and building relationships with reporters.
- Ability to develop long-term plans, set objectives, and track progress toward achieving objectives.
- Solutions-oriented approach, with a willingness to take initiative, while juggling several priorities that may change quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, be nimble, reliable, committed to teamwork, organized, self-motivated, and adaptive to meet project needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels and backgrounds.
- Comfort in managing and following systems and processes.
- A passion for progressive causes and politics and alignment with our mission.
- Demonstrates diplomacy, respect, and sound judgment.
Job posted: 2021-05-27