Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) is a national association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. AEE is the only industry association in the U.S. that represents the full range of advanced energy technologies and services, both grid-scale and distributed. Advanced energy includes energy efficiency, demand response, energy storage, wind, solar, hydro, nuclear, electric vehicles, and more. Engaged at the federal level and more than a dozen states around the country, AEE represents more than 100 companies in the $240 billion U.S. advanced energy industry, which employs 3.2 million U.S. workers.
AEE’s mission is transforming public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. We educate, engage, and advocate at the federal level, in wholesale electricity markets, and more than a dozen states for executive actions, legislation, and regulations that expand the size and value of markets for advanced energy products and services. We also offer business intelligence products and select business development opportunities to help advanced energy companies grow.
Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) is seeking an experienced communications professional to take charge of communications strategies that elevate AEE’s public profile and support AEE’s federal and state policy advocacy. This position will work under the Senior Vice President, Content, and supervise a Communications Associate and occasional interns, to develop, manage, and execute AEE’s media relations, social media, and other communication programs. The Communications Director will be principally responsible for media relations. The Communications Director will also work closely with the Marketing Director, as well as AEE’s policy and sales teams to help AEE succeed and grow.
- Plan, in collaboration with Senior Vice President, Content, and execute communication strategies to elevate AEE’s public profile and support AEE’s federal and state policy advocacy.
- Initiate, maintain, and enhance AEE’s relationships with key media outlets, both energy trade and general readership, nationally and in states where AEE is engaged in policy advocacy.
- Secure media coverage of AEE content products and policy experts by drafting and publishing press statements (by email and online), pre-pitching and following up with key reporters, and by connecting AEE leaders and policy experts with reporters for interviews.
- Supervise Communications Associate; recruit, screen, and supervise communications interns.
- Manage AEE’s social media program, which includes industry news, AEE content, and policy-related posts on AEE social media platforms (primarily Twitter and LinkedIn), and oversee and evaluate social media reports.
- Manage press lists and media contact updates
- Oversee media coverage reports, including AEE in the News posts on AEE website
- Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated success in media relations work
- Seven years related communications experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Business or commensurate related experience
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail and quality
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple activities and competing deadlines
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy, creative team environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work productively with remote teams
- Experience with Twitter and LinkedIn (Facebook a plus)
- Experience with content management software, graphics and/or multimedia tools, marketing automation software (HubSpot) a plus
- Commitment to the mission of AEE
Job type: Full-time
Location: Washington, D.C., preferred, but other locations considered
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start Date: On or after June 1, 2021
Please submit a cover letter expressing your interest in this position and organization and description of relevant experience, as well as a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also submit at least three samples of your written work (unedited), social media posts, and other relevant materials.
Advanced Energy Economy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. We are committed to diversity in the workplace and promote a drug-free environment.
Job posted: 2021-05-30