The Communications Director plays a lead role in advancing, managing, and protecting the organization’s reputation through the creation and execution of a comprehensive Communications and Public Relations strategy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop messaging and an integrated strategy to position Palmetto Goodwill as a leading nonprofit, employer, and community member. The director will have primary responsibility for strategy, execution, and measurement of the plan for:
- Regional and trade media relations (with emphasis on maximizing media mentions and placements).
- Marketing communications (creating impactful materials and programs); and
- Community relations and philanthropy.
- Produce communication plans and assets that support the organization’s growth strategy.
- Work with marketing team members to develop integrated campaigns and materials, utilize online sources and build partnerships to reach target audiences, and identify and conduct events.
- Serve as the communications lead for corporate social responsibility, development, philanthropy, and donor relations.
- Secure media placements to position leaders as industry subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Prepare executives and staff for speaking engagements, media interviews, and other presentation needs.
- Advise/support senior executives and staff departments on communications issues, strategies, and tactics.
- Develop strong narratives and initiatives for senior leaders.
- As needed, lead cross-functional groups to address issues and achieve company goals.
- As needed, select, inspire, evaluate, and develop team members to ensure needs of both the organization and individuals are met.
- Identify, onboard, and manage the work of external consultants/vendors as needed (regional PR).
- Complies with all agency policies, procedures, and safety standards throughout all work areas; maintains same to meet CARF, Department of Labor, and other regulatory standards.
- Performs other job-related tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications, marketing, or related field.
- Minimum 5+ years of proven experience, including strategy development, media relations, public affairs, thought-leadership writing, and issues management. Recent writing samples are required.
- This position is based in North Charleston, SC. Some regional travel and/or other organizational facility visits may be required.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to create relationships with regional media influencers.
- Creative thinking.
- Research skills.
- Reporting and metric skills.
- Working a flexible schedule, including some weekends, and evenings may also be required on an as-needed basis. *The team currently operates on a hybrid remote/office work schedule.
- Coordinate and edit the work of others.
- Work in a collaborative environment; freely give and receive feedback.
- Adapt quickly to change; operate in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or a related field. Minimum experience of five years in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, or Development with at least two of those years in the nonprofit industry (preferred). Supervisory experience required.
How to Apply
Job posted: 2021-07-17