Are you ready to join an organization where you can be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives?
Envision all Americans enjoying ideal cardiovascular health free of heart disease and stroke. At the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association, we get to work toward that goal every single day. Is it easy? No. Is it worthwhile? You bet!
This is satisfying work that makes a real difference in people’s lives. You can achieve professional growth with personal fulfillment. You will connect with people and make a lifesaving impact. You will partner with individuals, schools, lawmakers, healthcare providers and others to ensure everyone has access to healthier lifestyle choices and proper healthcare.
We have an excellent opportunity for a Communications Director in Des Moines. The Communications Director will set and execute our communications strategy to promote AHA health and development priorities in the Des Moines and East Iowa (Cedar Rapids & Iowa City) markets including earned media, social media, paid media, PSAs, media advocacy, messaging and storytelling. Director will have a home office set up.
Due to the current pandemic, daily travel is minimal and voluntary to ensure the health and safety of staff. There is no overnight travel currently. In the future, this position will resume daily and/or overnight travel. All AHA offices are closed and staff are currently working from home. Offices will be reopening in October 2021.
- Proactively pitch AHA programs, campaigns, and events to the media on a local level.
- Oversee local social media sites, including the creation and promoting of posts.
- Negotiate and coordinate local media sponsorships for AHA programs, campaigns, and events.
- Execute strategy for media advocacy that advances local and state policy goals.
- Lead creation of market messaging for events and issues.
- Recruit, engage and train local volunteers and staff to serve as AHA spokespeople in traditional, non-traditional and social media.
- Work outside of normal business hours and on weekends as needed.
- 2+ years of experience in public relations communications, public relations, marketing, or journalism. This experience may also count towards satisfying this position’s educational requirement. Nonprofit experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in communications, public relations, journalism or related field preferred.
- Knowledge of media and communications principles, ethics, practices and techniques, including technical requirements.
- Working knowledge of news media operations and news gathering.
- Ability to create and maintain key contacts within the media.
- Ability to recruit, organize, train, manage volunteers as well as ability to accomplish goals through them.
- Exceptional skill in written and oral communications
- Ability to do daily travel up to 40% and occasional overnight travel.
- Must have at least basic knowledge and skill with Microsoft Office used for word processing, email, presentations, and spreadsheets. Advanced knowledge and skill with these programs is preferred. These skills are subject to testing.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
At American Heart Association | American Stroke Association, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve as it relates to heart health and stroke prevention.
Learn more here
Be sure to follow us on Twitter #TheAHALife
Job posted: 2021-08-29