Communications Director Full-time
About She Should Run
She Should Run is a national nonpartisan 501(c)(3) organization that increases the number of women considering a run for public office by helping them realize their potential. We encourage women to explore the possibility of running for office and abandon the status quo conclusion that they shouldn’t run because they won’t win. We are driven by a vision to see historically underrepresented women play a leadership role in our democracy.
She Should Run’s Core Values:
Imagining the possibilities, challenging the status quo, making an impact, building an inclusive community, honoring diverse voices, and cultivating a culture of learning and curiosity.
About the Role
She Should Run is seeking a bold-thinking, impact-driven Communications Director who will bring a diversity of thought and perspective and a nimble approach and enthusiasm for She Should Run’s mission to our small but mighty team. As Director, measures of success will be based on your leadership and management of the targeted reach of She Should Run core messages via external and internal channels, your ability to plan and execute communications strategies, your cross-team collaboration, and your upholding of She Should Run’s core values.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strengthen She Should Run organizational messaging, aligning across all channels, and develop engaging narratives amplifying the organization’s social impact
- Increase awareness and understanding of She Should Run’s programs and position across the political landscape
- Lead cross-collaboration on messaging with programs, marketing, fundraising, and operation team members.
- Identify opportunities to uplift the stories of the women in the She Should Run Community and those who aren’t but should be
- Develop, implement, and manage the rollout of communications plans and strategies
- Ensure strong message alignment across Community resources including speaker content and program/event materials
- Collaborate with marketing, programs, and fundraising to develop publications and presentations that are consistently brand-appropriate with core messaging and impact storytelling
- Write op eds, press releases, and other thought-leadership pieces; review and approve partner press releases
- Edit programs and fundraising and other collateral needed
- Work closely with leadership to manage messaging needs
- Develop press ideas, pitch materials, and pitch relevant reporters; manage She Should Run’s press list and press contacts
- Cultivate and manage working relationships with media and influencers across channels (print, broadcast, and digital/social)
- Listen to media reports and read news articles relevant to the work of the organization in order to identify opportunities to enhance reach
- Assess incoming, identify new, and coordinate speaking engagements, interview, and other media requests; prepare talking points and other supporting content
- Attend press and networking events when appropriate
Requirements and Qualifications
- Passion and commitment to She Should Run’s mission and goals
- Bachelor’s degree (communications, public relations, journalism or related field preferred)
- 5 – 10 years prior relevant professional experience, including experience managing a team and external vendors; nonprofit experience a plus
- Demonstrated experience developing, managing, and executing on strategic communications plans and national awareness campaigns
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills with a knack for storytelling and appropriately representing tone and message for varied audiences
- Ability to manage a media relations program
- Ability to inspire teammates and key stakeholders to see opportunity in strong messaging
- Experience creating messaging and materials for donors communications a plus
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Ability to work independently, thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, and utilize professional judgment while working with external partners, team members, and other key stakeholders
- Experience with metrics tracking and tools (e.g. Sprout, Google Analytics)
- Experience working with remote teams and in using tools like Slack and Asana
She Should Run is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining an inclusive, diverse group of team members. We promote a policy of equal treatment and opportunity and prohibit discrimination in any aspect of our hiring and promotion process in regard to disability, race, age, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, or any other basis protected by law.
$80,000 – $100,000Competitive salary for an organization with <$2M dollar budget – tracking to nonprofit salary survey standards.
How to Apply
Email your resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Be sure to let us know in your cover letter why you want to support She Should Run’s mission in this role, and point to any example of prior communications work.
Include the job title in your email subject line. Applicant submissions will be considered until the role is filled.
Job posted: 2021-05-14