Communications Director, Moms Demand Action/Students Demand Action
Moms Demand Action and Students Demand Action are the grassroots networks of the nation’s largest gun violence prevention group, Everytown for Gun Safety. Since its founding by Shannon Watts in 2012, Moms Demand Action has grown into the nation’s largest grassroots group, and their red t-shirts have become a ubiquitous presence everywhere from state capitols to political rallies. Students Demand Action, which began in 2016, is the largest student group in the country fighting gun violence, and has nearly 400 local chapters. Together, Moms Demand Action and Students Demand Action, alongside gun violence survivors who are members of the Everytown Survivor Network, are essential forces in our work to stop gun violence.
Everytown is looking for a communications pro to continue to build the profile and brand of its grassroots networks. The person in this position would report to Everytown’s Chief of Public Affairs and have the following responsibilities:
- Develop and implement creative communications and branding strategies aimed at:
- Highlighting our wins and demonstrating the progress of our movement;
- Elevating gun violence in Black and brown communities and working to share the story of a diverse and representative coalition of advocates and organizations fighting to end gun violence;
- Building a strong, consistent and aggressive narrative to frame the debate over gun violence prevention, shine a light on opponents of common sense gun laws, and gain the attention of Americans in an increasingly cluttered and competitive media environment;
- Growing the national profile of the organizations by communicating the organization’s core messages, volunteer actions and voices, and achievements to a broad and diverse audience of policymakers, press, volunteers and influencers;
- Supporting the organization’s goals and priorities in politics, legislation, development and member engagement.
- Provide communications and guidance to senior staff.
- Identify compelling stories and narratives that can be shared with the media and our supporters.
- In coordination with our message research experts, develop innovative and effective messaging, including the development of talking points for the group’s leadership, volunteers, internal and external stakeholders, legislators and national partners.
- Build and maintain trusted relationships with members of the media and political influencers to advance the organization’s strategies.
- Work closely with key staff in other departments to align goals, strategies and tactics across the organization and ensure that new messaging and updated research is shared internally and incorporated into all external communications.
- A minimum of 7 years designing and implementing creative communications and branding strategies.
- Political experience, including electoral, issue campaign experience, government, advocacy organization, or other related work.
- Experience working with high profile principles.
- Experience leading the development and execution of sophisticated media plans.
- Exceptional writing ability with the ability to create dynamic, persuasive communications materials – including press releases, talking points, op-eds, remarks, briefing materials and more.
- Strong planning and organizational skills, including the ability to manage competing priorities in a timely manner and keep track of a variety of projects.
- Strong existing relationships with the media and political influencers.
- Experience managing staff.
- Ability to inspire confidence of others with personal authority, leadership skills and a collaborative work style.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-06