Communications Director, Public Affairs
General Description. Hudson Institute seeks a Communications Director to help develop and operationalize Hudson’s communications strategy, interface with press, and assist in the management of Public Affairs team members.
About Hudson Institute. Founded in 1961, Hudson Institute is a research-focused public policy think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C. The Institute’s mission is to promote American leadership and global engagement for a secure, free, and prosperous future. For more than half a century, Hudson Institute has been challenging conventional thinking by developing new ideas and practical solutions to shape critical foreign and domestic policy decisions.
Under direction of Hudson’s Vice President of Public Affairs, the Communications Director will:
- Help develop, operationalize, and manage Hudson’s communications strategy to broaden Hudson’s awareness among key audiences: press, government officials and staff, donors, and engaged citizens;
- Serve as lead point person on media interactions, interfacing directly and daily with press to pitch Hudson’s work and book media appearances for Hudson’s experts;
- Engage Hudson’s research staff to identify, develop, and communicate compelling stories, and regularly innovate and implement ideas;
- Track breaking news and trending topics to leverage Hudson’s policy work and expertise;
- Assist the VP of Public Affairs with additional team management responsibilities as needed.
Additional Performance Requirements: Successful performance in this position involves consistent, high-level fulfillment of each and every duty described above. Additional requirements and/or qualifications for the position include:
- Commitment to Hudson Institute’s mission and supporting the work of the Institute’s scholars and staff.
- Strong news judgment and public policy savvy.
- Excellent media contacts and demonstrated experience pitching reporters.
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Demonstrated social media proficiency and excellent multimedia skills.
- Superior writing, speaking, editing, and project management skills;
- Excellent communication and comprehension skills, both written and oral, including professional and tactful demeanor in dealing with press.
- Ability to work closely and effectively with others—including Hudson’s senior management, fellows, and staff.
- Creative and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Commitment to acting with integrity and the utmost professionalism.
A competitive salary and generous benefits package is offered based on experience. To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2020-11-16