Communications and Engagement Manager
Communications and Engagement Manager
Are you a creative, tech savvy, and talented advocate looking to make a difference on urban issues in the DC region? The Coalition for Smarter Growth (CSG) is seeking a Communications and Engagement Manager to join our small but mighty team. The ideal candidate will love engaging with people, be creative, flexible, and organized, have a clear and effective writing style, experience with digital communications, and a passion for our mission.
About the Coalition for Smarter Growth
The Coalition for Smarter Growth is the leading organization in the Washington DC region dedicated to making the case for smart growth. Our mission is to promote walkable, inclusive, and transit-oriented communities, and the land use and transportation policies needed to make those communities flourish. Read more about our organization at smartergrowth.net.
- Manage our communications schedule and calendar and coordinate our organization-wide communication.
- Use our WordPress and Squarespace platforms to produce content to engage with our supporters, evaluate supporter engagement, and ensure our websites reflect current campaigns/messaging.
- Create consistent and intriguing social media content for our Facebook and Twitter, manage daily performance metrics, and generate strategies to grow our presence on social media.
- Write engaging copy, and edit, proofread, and provide technical support for our advocacy updates, action alerts, invitations to events, and occasional fundraising content.
- Use our CRM, EveryAction, to create email and action communications and track the results of these efforts.
- Develop strategies to build our mailing list and engage supporters from a diverse array of backgrounds.
- Produce visual content to enhance our advocacy updates and online presence.
- Use Adobe Creative Suite or oversee outside design consultant to layout publications including our annual report, infographics, promotional materials, and other documents.
- Plan and coordinate our popular walking tours and forums series. Work with the advocacy team to line up speakers and the program, identify venues, handle the logistics.
- Work with our advocacy team to plan and host happy hours with our local advocacy volunteers and partner groups, including mentoring happy hours.
- Develop an external engagement strategy to publicize our events to a diverse cross-section of area residents.
- Assist with post-event processing including evaluations, updating records in our CRM, managing follow-up email communications, and thanking speakers.
- Provide photography for select events.
Volunteer Management (10%)
- Recruit volunteers and manage interns to assist with events and digital communications as well as other opportunities as they arise. Ensure that we are using industry best practices to recruit a multicultural group of volunteers from diverse backgrounds.
- Manage the volunteer database.
- Plan an annual volunteer appreciation event.
You should apply if you:
- Love interacting with people and have a passion for making our communities more sustainable, inclusive, and livable, and want to participate in a team advocating for better transit, more affordable housing, and walkable and bike-friendly communities.
- Have a collaborative and positive attitude and are able to work on your own or in a team setting.
- Are creative, detail-oriented, and organized and are comfortable managing several projects at a time.
- Are an excellent writer and can write clear, easy-to-understand content about complicated issues on a deadline.
- Have an eye for design and understand the role good design plays in effective communication.
The following are important pluses:
- Experience with digital communication using a CRM system (we use EveryAction).
- Experience navigating the backend of a website (namely, WordPress or Squarespace).
- Strong knowledge of how to use Facebook and Twitter to advance engagement, advocacy, and fundraising goals.
- Experience with photography or video, digital advocacy campaigns, Adobe Creative Suite, and managing volunteers.
Employment Benefits & Details
- Expected salary range for qualified candidates is between $55,000 and $65,000. The exact level is dependent on experience. Performance-based raises are negotiable at the end of each year
- Full-time employment
- Health, dental, and life insurance
- A flexible schedule
- Commuter benefits
- Comprehensive vacation, sick, and personal leave
- 403(b) retirement program with employer contributions after one year of employment
The position is based in the CSG office, conveniently located three blocks from Union Station in DC, working with five other full-time staff members and a revolving cast of volunteers, interns, and fellows. Periodic evening and weekend work is required and matched with reasonable flexibility during the week.
CSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications and Engagement Manager” in the subject line. In your application materials, please help us understand how you would contribute to the diversity of CSG staff, and let us know where you learned about the position. Applications will be accepted until Monday, March 30th. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.
Job posted: 2020-03-15