Communications & Event Manager
WAEPA Mission and Values
Worldwide Assurance for Employees of Public Agencies (WAEPA), is a nonprofit association (not an insurance company) seeking a Communications & Event Manager. This position reports directly to the SVP of Marketing and will interface with all levels of the organization and external marketing partners.
WAEPA was formed in 1943 by federal employees, for federal employees. The goal of WAEPA is to provide access to products and services that promote the health, welfare and financial well-being of its members. Learn more at waepa.org.
The Communications & Event Manager is responsible for the development and execution of the business development strategy, outreach across multiple regions; market WAEPA’s product offerings to federal organizations and other targeted referral sources; and increase growth through increased brand awareness and relationship building.
The primary responsibility is to meet and exceed goals contributing to the membership growth by increasing WAEPA’s exposure among Civilian Federal Employees. This position also manages the oversight of our communication efforts and public relations.
Candidates should be skilled at developing multi-level strategies and executing multiple projects. Candidates should also have strong communication skills. To excel in this role, you should be an active listener, have a compelling personality and a hunger to chase and close new business from cold calls and inbound warm leads.
The Communications & Event Manager will manage WAEPA’s outreach efforts, communications, content and public relations. You will establish and nurture relationships with event vendors, Federal officials, and media contacts to help drive awareness and lead capture.
Position Accountabilities include:
- Increase WAEPA’s exposure to build brand awareness through sponsorships, conferences and new outreach opportunities
- Oversee internal and external communications and content
- Manage WAEPA’s Marketing & Communication Specialist
- In coordination with PR agency, manage relationship of vendor and serve as liaison between agency contacts and CEO/Leadership. Field internal leadership speaking requests with CEO, develop talking points and speaking themes for CEO and other leaders
- Keep a pulse on PR opportunities and possible pitfalls, reporting to SVP of Marketing with brand protection and longevity in mind
- Actively seek new PR opportunities for CEO, including thought leadership in the media and within partnership associations managed in outreach efforts
- Develop new relationships and nurture current relationships with key people within federal communities to open doors to potential members
- In collaboration with the Marketing Department, assist in developing and implementing a comprehensive sales strategy to meet new member enrollment goals across multiple regions
- Manage events, trade shows and sponsorships to include planning, organizing and execution – including logistics and RSVP management
- Promote WAEPA’s existing products and help prospects understand new product announcements / features
- Research and gather information for new events, conferences and sponsorships
- Submit weekly / monthly activity tracking and expense reports as required
- Research and evaluate competitive activity
- Generate new business opportunities through leads, networking, obtaining referrals and marketing calls; develops lead nurturing campaigns
- Maintain professional image and demeanor, representing organization in a polished and ethical manner at all times
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
– Excellent customer service skills; detail oriented
– Self-starter, able to work independently and with a team
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Positive individual and a hard worker
– Knowledge of sales promotion and advertising techniques
– Willingness to travel
Required Experience or Education
– Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, advertising or communications
– Minimum 7 years’ experience in a communications, public relations, events, or sales role
– Must obtain health and life insurance licensing within the first 12 months of employment
Measures of Success
– Proven work experience in sales, events, or marketing
– Demonstrable experience establishing and nurturing business development campaigns
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-09