Communications and Events Associate Manager
The Partnership for Public Service is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a big mission: we’re working to ensure the federal government is dynamic, innovative and that it effectively serves the American people. We’ve got a great team that helps make it happen.
Our staff is diverse in experience and perspective, but at our core, we share a lot of the same traits. We are mission-driven, creative, collaborative, optimistic and inclusive.
Our work is strategic, fast-paced and guided by our values:
- Passion for public service and our work toward a more effective government.
- People who promote a culture of learning, leadership, collaboration, inclusion and respect.
- Persistence to drive change, take strategic risks and deliver results.
- Promise to be trustworthy, nonpartisan and fiscally responsible.
We hire smart and friendly people who are great at what they do and good to one another in the process.
The Partnership is seeking a creative, detail-oriented go-getter, with a strong commitment to public service and two to four years of project and event planning experience. This position will provide management and strategic oversight of our Samuel J. Heyman Service to America Medals (Sammies) program and related events, as well as contributions to the growth of our broader federal recognition initiatives. The Sammies are presented annually to honor outstanding federal employees who have made significant contributions to our country. By recognizing excellence in the federal workforce, we send a powerful message to the public about the value of effective government.
Responsibilities include building project plans, timelines and budgets, strengthening partner relationships, and delivering a top-notch awards program and events that advance the Partnership’s mission. Additionally, this role is responsible for managing and growing our nominations process with a strong focus on sourcing diversity of nominees, finalists and winners. As we adapt to a world that has been changed by COVID-19, we will look to the Associate Communications and Events Manager to creatively rethink our finalists’ announcement and awards ceremony events moving forward in order to grow the profile of the program. This role should focus on new ways to highlight our stories every year through different platforms and programs. This includes working with agencies to ensure they are recognizing their finalists and winners and promoting a culture of recognition. The Associate Communications and Events Manager will work with the Senior Communications Manager to grow our federal recognition work beyond the Sammies program.
The Associate Communications and Events Manager will work as part of an interdisciplinary communications team, which is responsible for all aspects of the organization’s communication strategy. The team manages the Partnership’s brand, messaging and editorial content, generates media and publicity for the organization and its activities, develops digital media strategies, produces award-winning publications, manages events and markets the Partnership’s programs.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- With senior-level oversight, grow the profile of the Sammies program by thinking of creative ways to highlight honorees’ accomplishments through different platforms and programs.
- Spearhead outreach to federal agencies and partner organizations to solicit nominations for the annual Service to America Medals program. Serve as the primary point of contact for collecting and organizing nominations and answering questions. Create and implement strategies to increase the number of nominations received, with an emphasis on greater diversity of candidates.
- Manage the Partnership’s internal review process for determining the Sammies finalists, including the preparation and approval of profile articles about their work and accomplishments.
- Facilitate recruitment and participation of the prestigious selection committee, including invitation letters and follow-up, distribution of voting information and compiling votes.
- Rethink, organize and execute the finalist announcement event. Craft ways to broaden the audience and reach more of the public with the stories.
- With senior-level oversight, manage all event planning, invitations, RSVPs, presenter outreach and overall success of the fall awards gala, including participation by program sponsors and other important stakeholders. Grow the diversity of presenters.
- Manage relationships and contracts with vendors for event production, catering, photography, video production, flowers and awards.
- Maintain contact with and engage past winners and finalists in other Partnership programs and projects.
- Work with the Senior Communications Manager to expand our federal recognition programming. Focus on how we can get agency leaders to better recognize their Sammies finalists and winners.
- Support the Events Manager in the production of Partnership programs and events (virtual and in-person), including on-site assistance, project planning, event logistics and delivery.
- Willingness to occasionally work early mornings, evenings and weekends when needed to plan and execute events or to meet project deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented.
- Strong project and event management skills, including prioritizing, organizing, delegating and planning work.
- Flexibility, a can-do attitude and willingness to pitch in.
- Experience working collaboratively with internal teams and external partners and/or vendors.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Stays abreast of the latest communications and events trends and emerging platforms that may be relevant to the Sammies program.
- Passion for the mission of the Partnership for Public Service and our nonpartisan values.
REQUIRED/PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, events or nonprofit management, marketing or similar field, or equivalent work or military experience.
- Two to four years of relevant work experience in event planning, event marketing, program or project management or related fields.
- Experience using complex database software to manage and communicate with organizational contacts. Experience using Salesforce and MailChimp preferred
This position reports to the Senior Communications Manager, Service to America Medals program. This position may supervise an intern
The Partnership offices are located in Washington, DC, but we are accepting applications from candidates living outside of the area but within the United States. This position must work eastern time zone hours. This position requires consistent use of office equipment such as computer, telephone, printer and scanner. Please note that as a result of COVID-19, Partnership staff are currently working remotely.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position with regular work hours Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET Occasional evening or weekend activities may be required. Please note that as a result of COVID-19, the Partnership is allowing maximum flexibility in work schedules.
If travel occurs, it is usually during the business day.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Partnership offers a compensation package that includes a competitive salary; medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; long- and short-term disability insurance; a 401(k) program with a 4 percent employer match; opportunities for training and development; 15 days of annual leave per year, 10 days of sick leave per year, plus all federal holidays and the day after Thanksgiving off; and use of an on-site exercise facility.
The Partnership is an inclusive organization that fosters learning, collaboration and respect. We actively recruit for diversity in our workplace, believing that a range of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences contributes to our mission of revitalizing government. The Partnership for Public Service is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability; or on any other basis prohibited by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-19