Communications & Government Affairs Associate
The American Waterways Operators
Position Summary: The Communications & Government Affairs Associate assists AWO with public and internal speech-writing commitments; assists in the identification of speaking opportunities; researches, analyzes and communicates on legislative and regulatory matters impacting AWO’s national and regional public policy issues; and assists in the drafting of public affairs, advocacy and member communications materials.
· Research and draft compelling speeches for the CEO and the COO, for staff and membership leaders.
· Research and help secure important opportunities for speaking engagements for the CEO and the COO.
· Draft materials for the use in advocacy, public affairs and member communications efforts, including regulatory comments, letters, op-eds, ad copy, meeting materials, newsletter stories, and other deliverables.
· Track, research and analyze national and state legislative and regulatory activities.
· Become the issue expert on a variety of maritime policy issues for a driven advocacy staff.
· Monitor and report on relevant developments from a variety of sources, including CQ and the Federal Register.
· Cover and report to AWO staff and members on pertinent governmental activities such as hearings, markups, and public meetings.
· Respond in timely fashion to AWO staff and member questions on statutory and regulatory requirements and developments, at both national and state levels.
· Work with AWO members and manage member working groups to develop and inform advocacy positions.
· Present pertinent information to AWO members at meetings and conferences; provide other meeting support as needed.
· Work with senior staff to coordinate and communicate with other trade associations who share AWO advocacy interests.
· Research status of AWO priority issues and advocacy positions for response to media questions.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Minimum 3-5 years of experience working as a speech-writer or communications professional in a government, non-profit, or government affairs environment.
· Superior writing and editing skill set.
· Creativity and an innate ability to simplify policy points and stories into accessible writing.
· Expert user of Microsoft Word and Power Point.
· Excellent oral communication skills.
· Considerable research and analytical skills; attends to fact-checking, details, accuracy.
· Results-driven time management and organizational skills as indicated by ability to work productively and independently on multiple projects with competing priorities.
· Ability to work collaboratively; productive as part of a team.
· Ability to work effectively and professionally in a bipartisan environment.
· Membership/trade association experience is helpful.
· Knowledge of federal regulatory and legislative processes is helpful
Please send a resume with cover letter to email@example.com; reference “Communications & Government Affairs Associate” on the subject line of the email.
Job posted: 2019-09-30