Clean Virginia is an independent advocacy organization with an associated Political Action Committee, Clean
Virginia Fund, working to fight legalized corruption in Virginia politics in order to promote clean energy and
community control over our energy policy. We are motivated by the core belief that our democracy should serve the
interests of citizens over special interests and that our energy policy should be a vehicle for social and economic
justice in this country, not a driver of climate change, environmental degradation, inequality and political
Clean Virginia is working towards these goals in three ways: first, we design innovative campaigns to educate,
inform, and engage Virginians on clean government and consumer-first clean energy. Second, we engage in
innovative research to enact structural reform that protects consumers, promotes clean government, and advances
21st-century energy policy. Third, we support candidates for state-level elected office in Virginia who prioritize the
interests of Virginians over those of the Commonwealth’s utility monopolies in order to eliminate the undue influence
of these monopolies over the public officials who regulate them.
About Us: We are a small team of dedicated people headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia. We are a highly
collaborative staff, and we lean on the collective experience, knowledge, and skills of our team and cultivate
interpersonal trust and open communication. Clean Virginia believes a staff that reflects the Commonwealth’s
diversity is central to our organizational goals of advancing clean governance and an equitable clean energy
transition in Virginia. We are committed to building an inclusive team at Clean Virginia in which diversity is
appreciated for improving our performance and organizational success.
Application Instructions: Please submit a resume, cover letter and a link to/electronic copy of an example of a
communications plan, press release, blog post, or social media account you have managed in the past two years to
firstname.lastname@example.org with “Clean Virginia Communications Lead” in the subject line.
Clean Virginia is committed to a just, representative, and inclusive working environment and encourages people of
color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are LGBTQ to apply.
The Communications Lead will be responsible for supporting the Communications Director and Advocacy and
Outreach Lead with the development and distribution of engaging content to promote Clean Virginia’s mission of
clean energy and clean governance. They will support our internal and external communications and media
strategy, write and disseminate publicity material, respond to inquiries from the public and media, and coordinate
promotional events. They will collaborate closely with the Advocacy and Outreach Lead in the management of Clean
Virginia’s digital platforms, including our email list, website, and social media accounts.
This position works closely with the entire Clean Virginia team and reports directly to Clean Virginia’s
Communications Director. It is based in Charlottesville, VA, and requires a willingness and ability to travel around
the state and work outside of traditional hours as necessary. Clean Virginia staff will be working remotely until the
health risks of in-office interactions are limited.
Duties and responsibilities
● Collaborate with the Clean Virginia team to develop and implement an effective communications strategy
based on our target audience and policy goals.
● Write, edit, and distribute content including blog posts, social media posts and graphics, website content,
and other public output for Clean Virginia’s use and to share with coalition partners.
● Assist in event planning and promotion including press conferences, lobby days, and organizing events.
● Work closely with the political and policy team in coordinating public outreach during the legislative session
and Virginia’s election cycles.
● Respond to public inquiries including from reporters, activists, and students.
● Develop and implement creative communications campaigns.
● Help maintain and improve Clean Virginia’s website, blog, and social media accounts and contact
● Monitor data analytics, including Google Analytics, in order to develop data-backed content strategies.
● Ensure Clean Virginia’s strategic imperative of equity, justice, and inclusion is included in all efforts.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree in a communications-related field (e.g. communications, marketing, social or behavioral
science, English, advertising, or visual arts) is preferred.
● Must have professional experience in a communications or marketing role. Superior communication, writing,
and interpersonal skills are a must.
● Project management experience strongly preferred.
● A strong understanding of evocative storytelling and effective communications principles.
● Demonstrated experience developing communications plans and materials for marginalized or
underrepresented communities or groups.
● A collegial and collaborative work style, innovative thinking, strong work ethic, enthusiastic attitude, and a
sense of humor are essential.
● Strong administrative skills including computer word processing and database management.
● Experience working with at least two of the following types of platforms: WordPress, content management
systems, graphic design, data analytics, and social media platforms strongly preferred.
● Strong demonstrated interest in social and/or environmental justice and people-powered change.
● Willingness to take intermittent day-trips in-state and occasional overnight trips post-COVID-19 as well as
participate in programs occurring after typical business hours.
Clean Virginia offers a highly competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience, internal and
external career development programming, plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage,
and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
Job posted: 2020-09-27