Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
We are looking for an exceptional Communication Manager who can take our Area Communications to a higher level. You will be an essential member of our team to develop and implement a strategy for our Area to be successful in engaging our stakeholders in a meaningful, consistent and effective way.
As Communications Manager you will be responsible for a broad range of Communications for the Great Lakes Area. The Great Lakes Area is one of 17 Areas within Waste Management and encompasses Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. You will work with and for our Director of Government Affairs.
We anticipate that this position will grow and evolve during our journey to create and implement a superior communication strategy. As a starting point, this position is responsible for drafting, coordinating and executing both external and internal communication plans and tactics. Cultivates external vendor and internal business and department head relationships. Assists assigned internal partners with communication for targeted audiences. Under the direction of the Director of Government Affairs, is accountable for the company’s communication tactics as it relates to all media as assigned responsibility – social media, earned media, product placement and integration and internal media development and ongoing cultivation. Provides assistance to lower-level communications professionals on the Area team.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Drafts, coordinates and executes internal and external communication plans and message development. Advises company management on communications tactics.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining the company brand throughout the area.
- Develops and/or manages production of graphic design projects and all digital and printed area collateral
- Engages and assists assigned internal partners (business and department heads) with targeted communications to both internal and external audiences.
- Cultivates the internal partner and external vendor relationships.
- Assisting with routine communication efforts with a focus on being more proactive and strategic in telling our sustainability stories.
- Escalates unusual requests to the director level for approval.
- Responsible for drafting media responses (and coordinating approvals from the necessary stakeholders) and is proactive in media relations and tactics.
- With consultation, develops external company message positioning on assigned issues and branding, and recommends delivery and timing of company messages to target audiences.
- May serve as an Area media contact for certain news releases and incoming inquiries.
- Provides assistance to company personnel in preparing speeches, letters and articles which are to be made public.
- Works with management to implement and maintain internal communications programs designed to contribute to the company’s employee engagement campaign and the related behaviors to support a motivated workforce.
- Provides less experienced communications professionals with assistance in developing content as well as defining the target audience and mode of communication.
- Networks and communicates directly with field communicators to assist with the strategy implementation, delivery of tools and messaging.
- Responsible for a portion of the overall communications budget and the effective administration of the assigned budget.
- May coordinate and assist in the administration and planning of large company events.
- May be responsible for creating and supporting internal communications regarding weather related disaster or crisis preparedness and aftermath.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
May be responsible for direct supervision of full-time communications employees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and four years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: Five years of relevant work experience in a communications department or agency (in addition to education requirement).
- Experience Preferred: Experience in Corporate level communications for a Fortune 500 company which included creating and implementing a successful communication strategy.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirementsth
- None required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Some knowledge of finance and accounting helpful.
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills
- Advanced ability and experience in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, content management systems, and social media platforms.
- Extraordinary creative and writing skills
- Highly organized
- Strategic, methodical, and analytical
- Ability to synthesize complicated and technical information into communications for the general public
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting and/or landfill/outdoor.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click “Apply.”
Job posted: 2021-03-01