The Communications Manager at the Center for Information Technology Policy (CITP) serves as the lead for all external and internal communications efforts of the center. This will include developing CITP’s content strategy and managing the center’s website, Freedom to Tinker blog, and social media presence. The position requires coordination and collaboration with researchers at the center, communications groups at Princeton, and, at times, managing freelance specialists.
This is a 2 year term position with the possibility of renewal.
Writing and Editing
- Produce written content aimed at public audiences: Collaborate with CITP’s world class researchers to translate technology policy results into real world impact. This includes leading all content development work for CITP including its website, blog, social media sites, weekly e-newsletters, posters and publications. This position will also be responsible for writing the content and designing publicity materials for CITP programs targeted toward undergraduate and graduate students at Princeton.
- Managing editor of CITP’s Freedom to Tinker blog (about 200,000 unique visits per month including many tech policy thought leaders).
- Other editorial responsibilities: The writer will edit CITP’s internal work while closely collaborating with the center’s faculty, staff, resident researchers and students. This includes providing feedback on drafts, line editing, copyediting, and proofing.
Online Presence Management
- Update and maintain CITP’s website and blog Freedom to Tinker using WordPress. Lead website redesign projects and manage projects with external design firms and specialists.
- Lead the development of CITP’s social media strategy and manage CITP’s social media accounts on a daily basis. This may involve creating new social media channels and updating CITP’s social media strategy in an evolving media environment.
Strategy, Management and Outreach
- Develop, manage, and evaluate CITP’s communication strategy to make CITP’s research and policy work widely accessible to students, policy makers, media and peer researchers. This includes disseminating news about CITP’s research and policy work in a timely manner.
- Manage the work of external writers, graphic artists, web specialists and photographers.
Essential Skills, Abilities and Knowledge:
- Strong writing and editorial skills required. Ability to understand and translate technology policy work to broad audiences. Willingness to learn about CITP’s domain expertise is a must.
- WordPress editing and web management skills needed for managing CITP’s website and blog. Graphic design experience is a plus. Candidates should briefly describe any relevant experience in editing and web management in their cover letter.
- Excellent grasp of the different social media platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage the work of external writers, graphic artists, web specialists and photographers.
*Interviewed candidates will be asked to provide a portfolio of their work.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-25