The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) is the leading not-for-profit organization dedicated to building strong, vibrant, and resilient communities through the power of parks and recreation. With more than 60,000 members, NRPA advances this mission by investing in and championing the work of park and recreation professionals and advocates — the catalysts for positive change in service of equity, climate-readiness, and overall health and well-being. For more information, visit www.nrpa.org. For digital access to NRPA’s flagship publication, Parks & Recreation, visit www.parksandrecreation.org.
NRPA is currently seeking a Communications Manager who will provide direct management for the development, implementation, and evaluation of communication plans and campaigns for NRPA’s strategic and operational program initiatives for NRPA’s Partnerships, Programs, and Development (PPD) team.
This position will report to the Sr. Director of Marketing Communications and be responsible for developing written materials, talking points, website, and social media content for projects within the PPD department. This position manages distribution of all PPD communications activities and coordination of the publicity and media relations with NRPA’s Sr. Manager of Strategic Communications.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plan, develop and execute overall communications strategy for the NRPA’s Partnership, Programs and Development team, NRPA’s brand, annual report and other products and services.
- Responsible for establishing a common direction and goals for the team; developing and achieving strategic and tactical plans; capitalizing on the skills, abilities, and individual differences of team members.
- Establish, monitor, and support employees’ efforts to achieve individual, team and association goals.
- Work with the entire marketing and communications team providing direction, structure, support, and oversight as needed. Support department staff to develop and accomplish goals that support the strategic plan.
- Manage budgets, in collaboration with PPD team members for all communications projects and initiatives; collaborate with other departmental staff to ensure initiatives contribute to the achievement of organizational goals (membership, revenue, attendance, etc.).
- Contribute productive and effective input to the planning, development and execution of the strategic plan using a sound process that includes independent judgment, collaborative analysis, and a commitment to the quality of the outcome.
- Provide oversight, support, and strategic direction on communication-led activities for PPD by working with Sr. Manager of Strategic Communications on delivering start-to finish campaigns, including specific social media strategies and toolkits as needed.
- Provide strategic direction of communication processes (i.e., review process for materials, standardized reporting templates, process for setting up communications plans).
- Ensure the organization has appropriate and updated tools and resources for effective communication, tracking and analysis.
- Be a collaborative partner with others within the Marketing Communications and Magazine team on overall communications, marketing, and positioning strategies for the association to ensure consistency across all assets.
- Bachelor’s Degree or continued education equivalent required, industry certification or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum 5 – 7 years of experience in a related field: 3-5 years in a position with specific subject matter experience preferred.
- Experience managing several communications projects simultaneously; experience creating short-term and long-term strategic communications plans, excellent written and oral communications skills, advanced knowledge of social media networks and advertising, experience managing multiple vendors, experience managing budgets and finances, experience working with email service providers and content management systems, proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, experience writing for charitable causes or individual giving campaigns a plus.
- Exercise independent decision making and discretionary judgment.
- Must be proficient on MSWord, PowerPoint and Excel and be willing to learn new software programs as they are made available.
- This position should expect to travel 15% of the time.
Required Materials and Application Process: Applicants without the following required materials may not be considered for this position:
- Cover Letter detailing your background and description how your experience and education would make you a successful candidate for this position (limit 2 pages).
Applicants will first be evaluated on the completeness and qualifications of application materials. Qualified applicants will then be invited for a phone screen and selected applicants will be invited to a Zoom interview. Finalists will be required to submit references for a reference and background check.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants.
NRPA values diversity, equity and inclusion and we are committed to integrating these core values more deeply into all elements of our daily work. NRPA is an equal opportunity employer and highly encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, ethnic minorities, new Americans (immigrants and refugees), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, native people, and veterans.
Discover the Benefits at NRPA!
To promote healthy lifestyles, at work and away, we have established programs like Teleworking, FlexTime Schedules, 37.5-hour workweek, Employee Assistance Programs, Educational Assistance Programs, Lunch-and-Learn sessions, and more. NRPA also offers a competitive Heath benefits package, generous PTO program where employees accrue 26 days of paid time per year, parental leave, and retirement and savings benefits.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-24