Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Remote (flexible location in U.S., Canada or Mexico)
Compensation: Competitive for NGO sector, commensurate with experience
About Inclusive Development International
Inclusive Development International supports communities around the world to defend their rights and resources in the face of harmful investment projects and advocates for a more just and equitable global economy.
We ‘follow the money to justice’ by using the financial sector’s own technology and tools to expose the investment and supply chains behind harmful projects and identify pressure points for targeted advocacy.
This information equips impacted communities to develop effective strategies to prevent harm or secure redress, and ensures that they have a meaningful say in the development decisions that affect their lives. We accompany frontline community defenders as they demand their rightful place at the negotiating table and we help build their power, capacity and effectiveness though training and tailored corporate accountability resources.
With the knowledge and experience gained from our partnerships in local struggles, we take our advocacy back to the boardrooms, financial institutions and parliaments to push for binding human rights rules and accountability mechanisms for corporations and financial institutions.
If you are a motivated communications professional who’s passionate about creating a world in which we can all live in ecological balance, where local communities determine their own development paths, and where corporations respect the environment and their human rights obligations, then this is the job for you!
About the Position
The Communications Manager reports to the Executive Director but works across various teams and on a number of topics to coordinate all of our public-facing communications.
The role requires someone who is passionate about human rights, environmental justice and corporate accountability, with a keen understanding of campaign strategy and the ability to articulate strategic messages in a concise and compelling manner. It requires someone with exceptional writing skills, a solid understanding of the needs and cycles of the mainstream media, a collaborative mindset and the ability to work harmoniously with diverse partners and team members.
The Inclusive Development International team is spread around the world with its headquarters in Asheville, North Carolina in the United States. This position could either be based at our offices in Asheville or remote in North America, with a preference for the Eastern US time zone. The role is full time, but we are open to flexible working arrangements or a slightly lower time fraction.
- Maintain and oversee implementation of an organization-wide communications strategy and workplan.
- Provide strategic messaging advice for our teams regarding various cases and campaigns.
- Draft and distribute media releases.
- Organize press conferences and other media events.
- Maintain media contact lists.
- Work with teams to draft and edit opinion pieces & get them placed.
- Assist staff to prepare for media appearances.
- Help teams utilize potential media hooks and opportunities.
- Assist teams to conceptualize and plan the creation of advocacy reports, guides and resources and oversee the production of such reports (usually engaging external professional designers for layout and design).
- Manage production and distribution of our China Global newsletter.
- Draft content for and oversee production of our annual impact report and other promotional materials as required.
Digital media and public engagement:
- Assist teams to draft content for our website and keep it updated.
- Manage our photo library.
- Manage all aspects of our social media channels, providing regular content to promote our work and impact, share strategic messages, amplify voices of community partners and civil society allies, and increase our support base.
- Capitalize on and create opportunities to produce digital actions, such as petitions or public letter writing advocacy, to advance campaign objectives and for lead-generation to expand our support base.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop concepts for periodic online fundraising appeals, and manage the creation and running of the appeals.
- Manage supporter mailing lists.
- Produce regular email updates to keep donors and supporters engaged with our work.
Key selection criteria
- Outstanding written communication skills
- Experience designing and/or implementing strategic campaigns to advance human rights, environmental and/or climate justice goals
- Experience preparing content for and liaising with journalists and media producers in a public relations or advocacy context
- Experience employing social media to advance strategic goals
- Strong planning skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and economic, environmental and climate justice
- Desktop publishing skills
- Ability to shoot and edit short videos
- General knowledge of the finance, mining, energy and/or agribusiness industries
- Experience working with frontline communities
- Knowledge of fundraising and marketing theories and practices
- Ability to produce simple yet professional looking graphics for social media
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress or similar website platforms, Campaign Monitor or similar email programs
- Photography skills
Candidates will be required to submit each of the following with their application:
- Cover letter addressing the key selection criteria (maximum 2 pages)
- 2 writing samples
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Posting may close without notice.
Visit Inclusive Development International’s website to apply: https://www.inclusivedevelopment.net/careers/
Inclusive Development International is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or class. We value diversity on our team and strongly encourage people of color, Indigenous people, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities and all qualified persons to apply for our open positions.
Job posted: 2021-07-27