CATW is one of the oldest non-governmental organizations working to end human trafficking and the sexual exploitation of women and girls worldwide as forms of gender-based violence and discrimination. Through an approach rooted in women’s rights and human rights principles, we advocate for strong laws and policies, raise public awareness and support survivor leadership. We are fighting to create a world where no woman or girl is ever bought or sold.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Manager will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for CATW’s communications portfolio. Responsibilities will include:
- Leading media relations efforts and assisting in developing communications strategies to increase public awareness on CATW’s campaigns and work. This includes building media relationships; pitching stories to the media; drafting press releases and media statements; ideating, drafting and/or editing opinion pieces and letters to the editor; building and updating media lists.
- Media monitoring for news relevant to the organization and issue area.
- Leading execution of engagement campaigns across email, website and social media.
- With Executive Director and Development Manager, defining editorial calendar of upcoming topics, news and milestones, events and external opportunities to guide content planning for digital communications across platforms.
- Managing website, developing new content for blog, updating press and resources, and tracking, reporting, and analyzing data and performance reports from Google Analytics.
- Producing email campaigns, soliciting content from internal sources, and utilizing testing and data to optimize email delivery and subsequent supporter actions.
- Owning and executing social media strategy across channels as a key driver of CATW messages, appeals, and website traffic, and as critical platforms for building brand and issue awareness. Creating content for social media accounts and posting regularly, following best practices, on each.
Fundraising and Events
- Supporting CATW Development Manager in developing marketing materials and documents in support of fundraising, including email campaigns, social media and promotional materials focused on donor communications.
- Supporting the planning and execution of fundraising and advocacy events. Creating marketing materials to advertise to target audiences and engage attendees.
Branding, Campaigns, Materials and Other
- Protecting and managing the consistency and integrity of CATW brand look and voice.
- Developing advocacy campaign materials (including petitions and calls to action) in tandem with Executive Director and Program Coordinator based on current campaign needs.
- Researching, writing and designing outreach materials focused on key topics and optimizing dissemination for target audiences.
- Liaising with partner organizations and supervising communications consultants and volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
· College degree required at a minimum. At least three years of experience in communications, public relations and/or advocacy, preferably in the nonprofit sector.
· High attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
· Must be a strong communicator, have excellent written and oral communications, copyediting, project management, presentation, multi-tasking and interpersonal skills.
· Strong personal commitment to women’s rights and ending human trafficking.
· Understanding of marketing and communications best practices, especially in the nonprofit and advocacy spaces.
· Familiarity with online marketing and digital communications tools, including e-marketing, CRMs and content management. Understanding of WordPress websites is a plus.
· Strong skills across social media platforms, particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Understanding of YouTube and Medium desired.
· Interest in media relations. Demonstrated record pitching stories about nonprofits and advocacy campaigns to the press and familiarity with Associated Press style writing a plus.
· Ability to work independently and learn quickly, while collaborating well cross-functionally with a small team.
· Must be a creative and strategic thinker with good judgment, problem-solving skills and ability to make independent decisions in a quickly changing environment.
· Understanding of graphic design principles with basic skills on Canva and Creative Cloud Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and PremierePro.
· Knowledge of and experience with SEO and digital analytics.
· Second language, especially Spanish, is an asset.
· Knowledge of best practices for writing and publishing on different digital and social media platforms (especially Facebook, Instagram and Medium), including understanding of current SEO principles.
· Able to manage time, multiple assignments and deliverables, and meet deadlines.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this will temporarily be a remote position as CATW’s staff continues to telecommute. Candidates not currently based in New York City will be expected to relocate once CATW returns to in-person work.
How to Apply
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: Communications Manager, Full Name. Resumes sent without a cover letter will not be considered. We will reach out to those being considered, no phone calls please.
Job posted: 2021-07-27