American Postal Workers Union, AFL-CIO
The American Postal Workers Union is seeking a dedicated communications professional to oversee the national union’s day-to-day communication strategy. The director will lead a small but dynamic communications staff, working in the Executive Office, reporting directly to the APWU National President.
Under the direction of the APWU National President, responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive plan for internal and external communications of the Union’s strategic goals and initiatives, including traditional and digital communications. This position is responsible for management of the communications team. This position reports to the APWU National President.
· Formulate and implement a communications strategy. Create and distribute content with the goal of increasing engagement within the membership and/or the public, while consistently and accurately representing the organization’s voice and goals;
· Write, edit, and manage communications content across a range of platforms to advance campaigns, educate and engage members and the public. These include the bimonthly American Postal Worker magazine, other organizing material, the websites and social media platforms;
· Coordination and oversight of continuity of message across the union’s different departments;
· Assist APWU locals and state unions, retiree chapters and affiliates with their communications goals;
· Fielding media requests, and assisting union officers with public interactions and appearances.
· Management of Communications employees (both professional and collective bargaining employees). Regularly coordinating the work of the department’s projects with other staff, external vendors and consultants and coalition allies.
· Work regularly with different union officers and Department Heads to coordinate different internal and public-facing communication projects.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in communications, public relations or journalism in labor, political, or nonprofit environments;
- Excellent leadership, judgement, strategic planning, creative problem solving, and analytical skills;
- Ability to take direction, work independently, and take initiative within areas of responsibility;
- Experience managing a team to reach goals on multiple fast-paced projects at once, while meeting tight deadlines;
- A track record of interdepartmental collaboration;
- Proven and highly effective written and oral communications skills;
- High level of organization and exceptional attention to detail
- Strong editorial capabilities, including clear, concise writing skills and the ability to line edit;
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to assess priorities and manage multiple assignments with varied deadlines;
- Senior-level experience with producing printed materials, including a regular publication;
- Experience developing relationships with members of the press, fielding media inquiries, and writing press releases;
- Advanced experience with a range of digital media and strategies, including new and emerging technologies that support content/message delivery and measurement;
- Knowledge of unions or other nonprofit advocacy/membership organizations.
$95,000 – $115,000, depending on skills and experience. Generous benefits including health insurance and retirement.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-11-13