Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Title: Communications Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Location: Washington, DC
Compensation: Salary in the range of $60,000 – $80,000; includes highly competitive benefits package. Salary for this position will be commensurate with skills and experience.
Description: Foreign Policy for America (FP4A) is a national organization advocating for principled American engagement in the world. Together with our members and partners, we promote sound policies, hold elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and help elect champions for our values. The Foreign Policy for America family of organizations includes FP Action Network, our federal political action committee, and Foreign Policy for America Foundation, our 501(c)(3) educational arm.
As we enter 2022, we’re seeking a talented and highly motivated rising leader to drive and oversee our communications efforts, including media engagement and press statements, social media and related strategies to build awareness of FP4A and hone our brand, efforts to engage local media, and work with candidates seeking federal office. Competitive candidates will have recent communications experience on either a political campaign or Capitol Hill.
Responsibilities: The incoming Communications Manager will be responsible for raising FP4A’s profile, growing our traditional and social media footprint, and expanding our influence on U.S. foreign policy and politics.
- Design and implement an earned media strategy that generates coverage to advance FP4A’s advocacy agenda, highlights the voices of FP4A Advisory Board members and other issue experts, and raises the profile of the organization.
- Lead rapid response efforts to major breaking news. Liaise with media and serve as a spokesperson for the organization. Respond to press inquiries; draft, edit, and disseminate written statements and responses; and facilitate expert briefings for media.
- Help design and lead implementation of a digital communications strategy that builds the organization’s reach and influence and projects a strong brand identity. Oversee the production of FP4A’s weekly and daily newsletters and ensure quality control. Manage FP4A’s social media and website.
- Offer message guidance to candidates for federal office. Develop other written products to promote FP4A’s values.
- Support FP4A leadership outside Washington to engage local media, write and place op-eds, and advocate for principled American engagement in the world, including by connecting the dots between priority outcomes at home and US foreign policy decision-making.
- Reinforce the organization’s editorial voice across all products.
- Contribute to organization-wide strategic planning and assist with other projects as assigned.
Requirements: The ideal candidate will be a creative, mission-driven leader with recent communications experience in a congressional office and/or political campaign.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience; some congressional and/or campaign experience is preferred but not required
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Previous experience working with media
- Digital and social media experience
- Strong track record of collaboration within fast moving team environments
- Ability to build/maintain strong relationships with a variety of external stakeholders
- Demonstrated commitment to FP4A’s mission of strengthening support for principled American engagement in the world
- Familiarity and comfort level with foreign policy and political issues
- Experience with WordPress and EveryAction is preferred but not required
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to Info@FP4America.org with “Communications Manager” in the subject line no later than January 30, 2022. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Foreign Policy for America is committed to inclusion and recognizes diversity as a strategic asset to our team and our community. As an equal opportunity employer, FP4A does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Visit our website at www.FP4America.org/Jobs.
Job posted: 2022-01-10